TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

EndSARS: Afenifere denies sending quit notice to Igbo in Yoruba land

The Citizen by The Citizen
October 26 2020
in Latest News
A A
0
EndSARS: Afenifere denies sending quit notice to Igbo in Yoruba land

The pan-Yoruba socio-cultural organisation, Afenifere, has declared that it did not send quit notice to Igbo living in any part of Yorubaland.

The group said all Nigerians have the right to live in any part of the country as provided by the 1999 constitution.

A viral video on the social media gave the impression that the group has given quit notice to Igbo living in all parts of Yorubaland.

But, leader of Afenifere, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, in a statement he personally signed debunked the video, saying it did not emanate from Afenifere.

Fasoranti said the group has nothing to do with person or group of people who released the video on the social media.

He, therefore, disowned  the alleged eviction notice and urged the Igbo to continue to live peacefully wherever they are.

While urging Nigerians to embrace peace, he called for harmonious relationship among the various ethnic groups in the country.

Similarly,  the South-East Governors’ Forum has assured Nigerians from other ethnic groups of their safety in Igboland.

Its chairman Ebonyi Governor, David Umahi, gave the assurance, yesterday, when he inspecting properties damaged by hoodlums at Okposi and Uburu communities of Ohaozara LGA of Ebonyi in the wake of the #EndSARS protests across the country.

He said he had spoken with leaders from all the geopolitical zones and assured them of their citizens’ safety.

“They, in turn, assured us of the safety of our people in their lands, especially those living in the South-West. They urged us to ignore the threats of crisis being circulated in the social media.

“We want to assure all ethnic groups residing in the South-East to go about their business peacefully and report any threat to the governors and security agencies.”

He said there were criminal elements across the country and the youths had been directed to fish out the perpetrators of the destruction to face the law.

“We believe in the oneness of the country where justice and equity will thrive. We believe that together we will be stronger. I appeal to the Igbo youths across the country not to join the protests further.

“They should not allow anybody use them in terming the protests an Igbo affair.”

Umahi, who described the period as a trying moment for the country urged the citizens to toe the path of President Muhammadu Buhari who had spoken in the nation’s oneness.

Those embittered about Igbo, Yoruba renewed unity fabricating falsehood to kill it – Ezeife

Elder statesman and former Governor of Anambra State, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife, yesterday, lashed out at those instigating conflict between the Igbo and the Yoruba nations in the social media.

He said the hateful messages targeted at killing the renewed unity between the two ethnic nationalities were being fabricated and promoted by those who were afraid that the renewed bond would birth a new and better Nigeria that would be beneficial to all instead of a section of the country.

“I see that the EndSARS protest is the result of or reaction to the comprehensive failure of governance in Nigeria. How the genuine protest is exploited by various groups is a different thing. I saw a post on WhatsApp claiming that the protest is aimed by the south and (the) Igbo to remove Buhari from office. It is not impossible that the same source is worried about what looks like increasing understanding and collaboration between the East and West and wants to kill it by encouraging conflict between Yoruba and Igbo.

“There are those who want to be heard by taking responsibility for what they don’t know how it happened. We must see the protest itself as an idea whose time has come and treat it maturely and urgently if we want to have Nigeria.

“The same Nigeria which the World Bank said that parts of her were growing faster than the rest of the world in the 1950s and 60s is now called the poverty capital of the world.

“Our children are today making waves at the frontiers of technology in foreign lands, making it understood that black brain power is inferior to none. We must look beyond the scheme of opportunistic people and fast adopt a 12 zonal structure (with extensive reconstruction of zones of the Middle Belt) for the country.

“For fairness, each existing zone should yield two zones and of course, the Federal Government should be made to deal with only generally accepted federal functions.

“Everything is ready for the survival of one Nigeria. And it appears that the long range thinkers among those who thought they were born to dominate have seen the eclipse,” Ezeife said.

Previous Post

Gov. Ayade charges security agents to halt violence

Next Post

Kwara State announces N500m support for looted businesses

Related Posts

BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy
Headlines

BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

August 19 2026
Pres. Tinubu presides over FEC meeting
Headlines

Pres. Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

August 19 2026
Defence Minister meets ex-servicemen, promises to address demands
Latest News

Defence Minister meets ex-servicemen, promises to address demands

August 19 2026
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students
Headlines

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026
Tinubu orders 24-hour aerial cordon on Kwara, Kebbi, Niger forests
Latest News

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara

August 18 2026
ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity
Headlines

ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity

August 18 2026
Next Post
Kwara State announces N500m support for looted businesses

Kwara State announces N500m support for looted businesses

Enugu: No COVID-19 palliatives in Queens School – Principal declares

Enugu: No COVID-19 palliatives in Queens School - Principal declares

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

Nigerians pay more for cement than African neighbours – FCCPC

August 19 2026
FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector

FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector

August 19 2026
APC imposes two-week deadline for presidential, guber, NASS forms

APC fixes August 22 for state, federal legislative primaries

August 19 2026
Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

August 19 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.