TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

I contemplated suicide after office because of Osinbajo, Magu, Ndume – Former Attorney-General, Adoke

The Citizen by The Citizen
September 9 2019
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
I contemplated suicide after office because of Osinbajo, Magu, Ndume – Former Attorney-General, Adoke

A former Attorney-General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke, who is currently on a self-exile, said he contemplated suicide due to alleged persecution he was subjected to after he left office in 2015.

Adoke also listed Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo; the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu; and Senator Ali Ndume as some of those behind his current ordeals and persecution.

He said since he left office in May 2015, he had been viciously maligned to the point that he contemplated suicide.

Adoke said this in his book, “Burden of Service” due to be presented soon.

According to him, so intense was his persecution that life was no longer attractive to him.

The former minister wrote, “To wake up every day and see my name being unjustly maligned on the internet was no longer bearable. Being hunted for what I did not do felt like a death sentence on its own. It is time to force my exit from this world, I told myself.

“I walked to the terrace of my rented semi-detached maisonette in The Hague, The Netherlands. I looked down. Plunging a few metres seemed to offer an instant relief instead of waiting endlessly for my vindication.

“I would become totally blank to shame and sorrow within seconds. I would never have to worry about the lies and the persecution again.

“My blood would be on the hands of those who hounded me to my death. They would live the rest of their lives with a bleeding conscience, assuming that they had any such thing. Death, rather than life, seemed very attractive to me now.”

Adoke, however, said he later came to his senses and chose life over death based on the fact that if he ended his life abruptly, nobody would tell his side of the story, while his family members and friends would live with the stain.

He said his traducers would also claim that his death was an escape from justice.

“I decided to live and tell my story,” he said.

On those he claimed persecuted him, Adoke stated that apart from Osinbajo, Magu and Ndume, he was aware that some people, who served in the cabinet of former President Goodluck Jonathan with him, used his name and that of a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alinson-Madueke, to curry favour from President Muhammadu Buhari shortly after the 2015 elections.

The former minister regretted that Magu, who he said he was instrumental to reinstating to the EFCC from the police “where he had been vegetating,” turned out to be leading the field operations to destroy him.

He said a governor from the North-West quoted Magu as telling him that he (Magu) was under instruction from Osinbajo to deal with him.

He wrote, “I was told an influential governor from the North-West geopolitical zone once asked Magu why he was after me so vindictively.

“Magu reportedly confessed to him that it was the Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, that directed him to do so.

“He also advised the governor to tell me that I should go and sort out whatever issues I had with Osinbajo.

“On receiving that information, I recalled that one of Magu’s top aides had also voiced a similar sentiment to someone that the VP had given the marching orders to get Adoke at all costs.

“Still, I won’t blame the VP alone. Magu also had his own agenda. A senator asked him if he had any personal issues with me, and Magu replied that I owned half of the Centenary City in Abuja.”

Adoke said he was also aware that Ndume, who is from the same place with Magu, played an inciting role in the EFCC war against him.

He explained that he was meant to take Ndume to Jonathan while the government was finding a lasting solution to the problem of Boko Haram, but the senator went behind him to meet the President, who later complained that the security report on him (Ndume) was not good.

He added that he was receiving strange calls from some people who were threatening to kill him if he did not help to remove the then Borno State governor, Kashim Shettima.

According to him, when a suspect was arrested, he told security operatives that it was Ndume who gave him, his (former minister’s) phone number and asked him to be calling.

That, he said, was how Ndume was arrested and charged to court, hence his decision to be inciting Magu when the EFCC boss started his war against him.

On the much talked about the OPL 245 transaction, he said he would not allow his service to the nation to be reduced to the malicious allegations against him despite that he implemented the settlement agreement between Malabu Oil and Gas Limited and the Federal Government  which was entered into four years before he assumed office.

He said he did his best for Nigeria by saving the country a $2bn claim by the Royal Dutch Shell at the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes, an organ of the World Bank.

Adoke added that the $210m signature bonus paid for the OPL 245 by Shell and Eni was the highest in the history of the country.

“I did nothing wrong. I did not take a bribe, not even a cup of water or a slice of cake.

“Along the line, the narrative about my role has been severely twisted, but the dust will settle someday and the whole truth will come out as straight as an arrow,” he wrote. – Punch.

Previous Post

Xenophobia: South Africans demand foreigners to leave country

Next Post

Keystone Bank partners Google, Facebook to train MSMEs across Nigeria on digital marketing

Related Posts

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk
Global News

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026
Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists
Global News

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

August 21 2026
DSS rejects foreign funding for proposed security trust fund
Headlines

DSS alerts Sokoto as terrorists target tertiary institutions

August 21 2026
Governance

States get special N435bn for security, infrastructure

August 21 2026
Auto Draft
Headlines

Presidency, OPS kick against Atiku’s petrol subsidy push

August 21 2026
2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns
Headlines

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns

August 20 2026
Next Post
Keystone Bank partners Google, Facebook to train MSMEs across Nigeria on digital marketing

Keystone Bank partners Google, Facebook to train MSMEs across Nigeria on digital marketing

L-R: Enugu State Governor, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi; Chairman, State Rural Electrification Board (REB), Sir. Joseph Nwabueze Nnamani; Deputy Chairman, Nkanu West Local Government Area, Hon. Sunday Nnamani; Member representing Nkanu East/West Federal Constituency and House Committee Chairman on Aviation, Hon. Nnoli Nnaji; and Chairman, Nkanu West LGA, Hon. Henry Okenwa, during Sir. Nnamani’s thanksgiving ceremony for his conferment of Knight of John Wesley (KJW) by Wesley Church Akpasha, Diocese of Agbani, Methodist Church Nigeria, yesterday. 

L-R: Enugu State Governor, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi; Chairman, State Rural Electrification Board (REB), Sir. Joseph Nwabueze Nnamani; Deputy Chairman, Nkanu West Local Government Area, Hon. Sunday Nnamani; Member representing Nkanu East/West Federal Constituency and House Committee Chairman on Aviation, Hon. Nnoli Nnaji; and Chairman, Nkanu West LGA, Hon. Henry Okenwa, during Sir. Nnamani's thanksgiving ceremony for his conferment of Knight of John Wesley (KJW) by Wesley Church Akpasha, Diocese of Agbani, Methodist Church Nigeria, yesterday. 

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

August 21 2026
Gospel singer Asu Ekiye announces end of 28-year marriage

Gospel singer Asu Ekiye announces end of 28-year marriage

August 21 2026
2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC, Uzodimma over Imo West ticket

2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC, Uzodimma over Imo West ticket

August 21 2026
UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.