TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Militants invade Lagos, Ogun communities, kill over 30

The Citizen by The Citizen
June 25 2016
in Headlines, Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

Barely a week after gunmen sus­pected to be Niger Delta militants and oil vandals invaded Imushin, a sleepy community in Ogun State, killing about 15 villagers, two other border communities between Lagos and Ogun states; Elepete and Igbo Olomu in Ogijo area of Ikorodu were again attacked by armed men. By the time the smok­ing guns of the attackers ceased fir­ing, about 30 persons were feared killed and scores injured. The attack took place on Thursday night/ early hours of Friday.

In the latest attack at Elepete and Igbo Olomu, it was learnt that sev­eral of the victims were landlords who had formed a vigilance group due to incessant armed robbery at­tacks in their areas, made bonfires at strategic points and were on pa­trol when the militants swooped on them.

The militants, who were said to be returning around 11pm from the creeks where they had allegedly gone to perpetrate their illegal busi­ness, opened fire as they arrived at Elepete after they mistook the vigi­lance group, for law enforcement agents.

As the victims fled, the militants chased them and rained bullets on the defenceless villagers. By day­break on Friday, no fewer than 30 dead bodies were reportedly re­covered from various points, while most of the residents had fled the communities for safety.

Dead bodies everywhere as residents flee

Another source in one of the communities said the militants had accused the villagers of giving in­formation to security operatives about their illegal activities. The hoodlums were said to be angry at the way joint security operatives took over the area, preventing them from carrying out their criminal acts.

A community leader, John Ogunike said “Some of our rela­tives were slaughtered like ram. Mr Isioluwa Angus and his wife Rose­mary were slaughtered with knife. Some of the victims were shot at close range while some were hit by stray bullet.

“At the Lagos State side, five Police patrol vans were used to evacuate 20 dead bodies. In Ogun side ,we don’t know how many people lost their lives, but, informa­tion reaching me showed that many dead bodies have been discovered .Ogun State people are yet to evacu­ate the bodies on their own side.

“We are relocating from this community. Everybody is scared. Even the neighbouring communi­ties are also running away because, no one knows his fate. It happened last week at Ibeshi, Imushin and no one suspected they would storm our area. Who knows the next place they will go tomorrow as they have vowed to wipe out communities within this axis. We are begging the government to come to our rescue”

As at the time of filling this re­port, people were still fleeing the communities.

Soldiers and Policemen have, however, been drafted to the area. Lagos State Commissioner of Po­lice, Mr Fatai Owoseni, and his deputies were also in the area for on the spot assessment.

Disputing the casualty figure, Owosenis Ogun State counterpart, said only two persons were con­firmed dead. The Public Relations Officer of the state command, Olu­muyiwa Adejobi, said only two per­sons were killed by suspected mili­tants who have been laying siege on the communities.

He said:“Two people have been confirmed dead. The militants came again and attacked the community. We will only continue to work col­lectively with all relevant agencies to stop the attacks. They came yes­terday (Thursday) and attacked and went back to the creeks.”

Militants’ spread of terror

Penultimate Friday night of June 17, 2016 was a black night in Imushin community, Ogijo area of Ogun State. It was a night about 100 gunmen suspected to be Niger Delta militants invaded the com­munity on the boundary between Lagos and Ogun states, in a shoot­ing spree that left 15 of the residents cold dead.

Among the 15 killed in the attack was a technician, Waheed Buhari, aka Yah Alau, said to have been shot dead in front of his room, with one of his children, Mariam, sus­taining bullet wounds.

Also included was a travel agent, Mr. Oladele Ogundare, who had just returned home in his car, when the rampaging militants opened fire on his car and killed him.

Another victim, Umoru, who was said to be eating noodles, was chased, hacked and shot to death, along with a friend, Danladi.and a Muslim cleric killed when the mosque in the community, was at­tacked.

Two hotels were reportedly raid­ed and their customers robbed and injured, while more than 25 shops in the community were looted by the rampaging beseigers.

As families of the slain victims thronged graves to bury their rela­tions according to Islamic rites last weekend, there were no doubts as to the criminal motives and na­ture of the siege. Although many of the residents, said the militants were suspected to be Ijaw youths involved in pipeline vandalism, es­pecially in the creeks and riverine areas, who were probably on a re­venge mission for the killing of two of the vandals earlier on Friday by some operatives of the State Anti- Robbery Squad, it was another orgy in the increasing bloody raids and assault on Yorubaland by the ex-militants, who seemed to have shifted shop from the South South and the South East to the South West enclave in their daring crimi­nal ventures and exploits.

At least that appears to be the reading of the South West leaders of the latest and series of violent crimes perceived to have been committed by the militants, especially after se­curity intelligence linked some Ijaw militancy and criminal syndicates’ kingpins to high profile robberies and kidnappings that made waves in the last one year.

Ahead of a peace meeting be­tween leaders of the Ijaw nation, who are at pains distancing their people from the heinous acts, and Afenifere, the pan Yoruba socio cultural organization, the latter, has sounded a note of warning that it would not tolerate further any de­spoliation of its people from any quarter.

There have been growing strong indications that Niger Delta ex-mil­itants as well as militiamen made jobless as a result of demobilization and reported cut in the budget of the Niger Delta Presidential Amnesty office in the last one year have in­vaded the South West, especially, Lagos, Ogun and Ondo States and are responsible for the various re­cent acts of kidnappings, robberies and other criminal activities in the region.

Former President Goodluck Jon­athan’s administration had awarded contracts to six companies to guard pipelines belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation. The pipeline security and surveil­lance contract, said to have been worth N9.3bn, was carried out between March 15 and June 15, 2015. The contract was awarded to companies owned by former Niger Delta militants, self-determination groups and prominent Nigerians including Government Tompolo Ekpumopolo, Mujaheedin Asari- Dokubo, Ateke Toms, Bipobiri Ajube and Ebikabowei Victor Ben (Boyloaf).

Others are the company of the founder of Oodua Peoples Con­gress, Chief Fredrick Fasehun and OPC national co-ordinator, Gani Adams The operational areas for the companies were: Egbe Security River One (Bayelsa), Gallery Se­curity (Mosinmi-Ore), Close Body Protection (Edo), Adex Energy Security (Rivers), Donyx Global Concept (Lagos and Ogun), Oil Facilities Surveillance (Delta) and New Age Global Security (Mosin­mi-Ibadan).

Impeccable security sources said available intelligence suggested that some of the ex-militants, whose source of livelihood was lost af­ter President Muhammadu Buhari cancelled the pipeline protection contracts, were responsible for the recent upsurge of crime particularly in Lagos State.

A senior DSS official confessed that the police and other security agencies were finding it difficult to control the proliferation of fire­arms in the possession of the ex-militants. It was learnt that some of the ex-militants and militia­men responsible for protecting the pipelines during former Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, in ad­dition to returning to pipeline van­dalism and illegal oil bunkering in the coastal areas of the South West, notably Arepo, Ikorodu, Ilaje and Ogun waterside also turned to kidnapping and robberies to make money. “Since abduction seems to be profitable and less risky, job­less ex-militants and militia group members seem to have found a lu­crative business in the kidnapping of hapless citizens,” a security chief said in an interview.

Since President Buhari did not renew the contracts awards. the states in the South West have wit­nessed robbery attacks and upsurge in violent crimes between last year and now.

The heightened situation, observ­ers note, can be explained by the heat of deployment of troops to cur­tail resurgent militancy in the Ni­ger Delta region, which may have forced more of the hoodlums out to seek safer haven in the West.

There have also been several cases of robberies and kidnapping, including the abduction of wife of the Deputy Managing Director/ Deputy Editor-in Chief of the Sun Publlishing Limited, Steve Nwosu, two photojournalists of The Sun and The Nation newspapers and others in Festac area of Amuwo Odofin Local Government area, with the abductors said to have of­ten made their escape in speedboats and through waterways and canals, lending to the suspicion that they were militants. The latest was the abduction of three schoolgirls from the Babington Macaulay Junior Seminary, Ikorodu,

A gang of robbers on Wednesday, June 24, 2015, attacked two new generation banks in the Ikorodu area of the state. The robbers were said to have trailed a bullion van to the premises of one bank in the Ogolonto area of the town before moving to another bank after they were done with the first. The police reportedly engaged the militants in a gun duel.

The sites of the militants’ latest strike -Elepete and Igbo Olomu are not too far from Imushin.

In the latest attack, at Elepete and Igbo Olomu, a source within one of the communities, who spoke on the condition of anon­imity, said several of the victims were landlords.

However, the police said only two persons were confirmed dead.

The Public Relations Officer, Ogun State Police Command, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, said only two people were killed by suspect­ed militants who have been laying siege on the communities.

He said, “Two people have been confirmed dead. The militants came again and attack the com­munity. We will only continue to work collectively with all relevant agencies to stop the attacks. They came yesterday (Thursday) and attacked and went back to the creeks.”

Adejobi added that the police would fish out the criminals. – The Sun.

Previous Post

Money laundering: We’ll soon go after bank MDs – Magu, EFCC boss

Next Post

Please stop bombing oil installations – Buhari begs Niger Delta militants

Related Posts

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results
Headlines

Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results

August 16 2026
BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs
Headlines

BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs

August 16 2026
Osun Election: NHRC seeks Fadahunsi’s arrest as Adeyanju writes UK, US for visa ban
Latest News

Osun govt sues Fadahunsi over ‘Kill Accord members’ threat

August 13 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs
Governance

State Police: Presidency extends memorandum submission deadline

August 13 2026
Gov. Mbah inspects Enugu Hospital, targets medical tourism market
Latest News

Gov. Mbah inspects Enugu Hospital, targets medical tourism market

August 13 2026
Next Post

Please stop bombing oil installations - Buhari begs Niger Delta militants

Ugwuanyi initiates bill on funding expansion, ownership of Rangers Football Club ...Enugu governor, a digital thinker - Pinnick, NFF boss

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Kano Assembly suspends three LG chairmen for alleged misconduct

Kano Assembly suspends three LG chairmen for alleged misconduct

by The Editor
August 4 2026
0

...

NDDC trains traditional birth attendants to reduce maternal, newborn deaths

NDDC trains traditional birth attendants to reduce maternal, newborn deaths

by The Editor
July 29 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints new special adviser on House of Reps matters

Tinubu appoints new special adviser on House of Reps matters

by The Editor
July 27 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation

EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Queen Elizabeth dies at 96, Charles becomes King

UK radio broke rules in announcing king’s death — Official

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

State of the States

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Kebbi governor convenes emergency security meeting

Kebbi governor convenes emergency security meeting

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Cross River Igbo community alleges illegal taxation, seeks government intervention

Cross River pegs presidential campaign ads at N150m, guber N100m

August 16 2026
NCAA to automate baggage tracking

NCAA to automate baggage tracking

August 16 2026
BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors

BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors

August 16 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch

We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Opinion

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Trump’s U-turn on Iran war ends Israel’s Middle East dream

Trump’s U-turn on Iran war ends Israel’s Middle East dream

by The Editor
June 17 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.