TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

PENGASSAN insists on nationwide strike

The Citizen by The Citizen
July 8 2016
in Headlines, Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN), on Thursday, said that there was no going back on its planned strike slated to have commenced by 12 a.m on Thursday.

Mr Francis Johnson, the national President of PENGASSAN made the assertion in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.

He said that the issues had been pending for so long and that the government had not shown enough seriousness over the matters.

According to him, government is trying to apply fire brigade approach to a serious matter.

“We have discussed this matter long enough for the government to address us but it closed its ears, now the authorities are calling for dialogue.

“We are ready to work with Mr President to succeed but other agencies involved in the discussion were not showing serious concern over the matter and we don’t have any choice than to proceed on strike,’’ he said.

Johnson said that the inability of the Federal Government to honour its agreements contained in May 12, 2016 communiqué was the reason for calling for the strike.

He said that some of the issues included lingering irregular Joint Venture Funding and Cash Call Payment arrears and lack of a clear cut direction on the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB).

Others are forceful co-option of government agencies into the Integrated Personnel Payroll Information System (IPPIS) and the spate of redundancy and retrenchment in the industry.

The PENGASSAN president said that several efforts to engage the government to forestall the strike were frustrated.

He said that before now, the union tried to engage the government on May 24, 2016, which was inconclusive.

He added that the engagement was later fixed for June 23, 2016, which did not take place and again for June 30, 2016 and which was unceremoniously cancelled with no date given.

“We see this as a deliberate attempt by the government to frustrate the discussion of the myriad of issues raised in the communiqué which are critical to the survival of the oil and gas industry in the country.

“Among the burning issues raised is that of the Joint Venture Funding/Cash Call arrears, which has stalled new investments and the creation of jobs and which has consequently brought about massive job losses.

“We have equally noted with great dismay that our tertiary institutions keep churning out graduates with no or very limited job placement opportunities,’’ Johnson said.

“Even for those that are fortunate to have jobs, it has been a tug-of-war getting their salaries paid as when due and are faced with redundancies on a regular basis, especially in the service sector.

“We cannot fold our hands and watch this gradual collapse of our strategic oil and gas industry and its attendant consequences on the nation’s economy.

Corroborating the national president stand on the strike, the association’s Public Relations Officer, Comrade Ojugbana said that the strike has really commenced despite the Eid-el Filtri public holiday declared by the Federal Government.

According to a statement by the PENGASSAN National Public Relations Officer, Comrade Emmanuel Ojugbana, “there is no iota of truth in the report that the strike has been called off or suspended.

“As we speak now, some of our members that are in the offshore have been withdrawn, while others who are on critical equipment have commenced gradual shutting down of such equipment before their final disengagement.

“Our members, especially those in offices and downstream sector will join tomorrow (Friday) as they resume from the Eid el Fitri holiday.”

Comrade Ojugbana has restated that the strike was to press home PENGASSAN demands for government’s attention to some critical challenges impacting the survival of the nation’s oil and gas industry.

However, the meeting between the Ministers of Labour and Petroleum with the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) on how to stave off the association’s planned strike would hold on Monday, July 11, 2016.

The meeting had earlier on been scheduled for Thursday July 7, 2016, but later shifted to Friday.

The President of the Union, Comrade Olabode Johnson who spoke on their invitation by the government and their position on the strike said the union was invited for a meeting scheduled for Friday (today) but it was impossible to hold the meeting today.

“They invited for a meeting tomorrow (today) but we told them it is not possible and was shifted for Monday,” he said.

However, the PENGASSAN president said the strike commences 12 midnight today, because nothing was done by the government on the letters they have written since April, until the eve of the strike.

Comrade Olabode said: “While we wait for the meeting, the strike will commence from midnight today because we have written to government on this situation since April and nothing was done. So, we should not be held responsible for what   goes wrong in the sector.

“We are also concern with what is happening in the country which is why we issue an ultimatum that expired last week; and not until when we asked our members to shun their duty post that the government deemed it fit to hurriedly call us for a meeting. Not until we declared the strike, the government did not deem it fit to see to our plight.”

The Federal Government had failed to hold the crucial meeting earlier scheduled to hold on Thursday with PENGASSAN and NUPENG over the imminent nationwide strike by PENGASSAN.

However, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Sen. Chris  Ngige, appealed to the leadership of PENGASSAN to put on hold its planned strike, scheduled to commence yesterday.

Ngige, while begging the union to halt the strike, said this was necessary in view of the ongoing negotiations and in the spirit of social dialogue.

The government said the conciliation meeting failed to hold as planned yesterday  due to the spirit of the season and the national holidays. But it added that the meeting will be held today to resolve the lingering crisis.

“In consideration of the season and national holidays, the conciliation meeting has been rescheduled,” the Deputy Director (press), Ministry of Labour and Employment, Prince Samuel Olowookere said on Thursday.

He added: “The  Minister of Labour and Employment Sen. Chris Nwabueze Ngige and the  Minister of State, Petroleum Resources Ibe Kachikwu will now hold the crucial meeting with Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) tomorrow (today) to put a lasting solution to the lingering problems in the oil and gas sector.

“The meeting is now slated for tomorrow Friday 8th July, 2016 at Ministry of Petroleum Resources, Minister’s Board Room, 11th Floor, NNPC Towers, Abuja by 11:00am Prompt.”

Previous Post

JAMB releases new grading system for candidates

Next Post

Nobody can stop Biafra, not even Buhari – MASSOB

Related Posts

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk
Global News

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026
Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists
Global News

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

August 21 2026
DSS rejects foreign funding for proposed security trust fund
Headlines

DSS alerts Sokoto as terrorists target tertiary institutions

August 21 2026
Governance

States get special N435bn for security, infrastructure

August 21 2026
Auto Draft
Headlines

Presidency, OPS kick against Atiku’s petrol subsidy push

August 21 2026
2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns
Headlines

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns

August 20 2026
Next Post

Nobody can stop Biafra, not even Buhari – MASSOB

NCAA authorises domestic airlines to increase fares

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

August 21 2026
Gospel singer Asu Ekiye announces end of 28-year marriage

Gospel singer Asu Ekiye announces end of 28-year marriage

August 21 2026
2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC, Uzodimma over Imo West ticket

2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC, Uzodimma over Imo West ticket

August 21 2026
UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.