TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

President Jonathan promises to deliver Second Niger bridge on schedule

The Citizen by The Citizen
January 17 2015
in Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

President Goodluck Jonathan has assured that the Second Niger bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State will be completed and commissioned within the 14 months stipulated period and commissioned.

 

Jonathan who was earlier taken  on the spot inspection of work at the bridge, told the Traditional rulers ‎at the Palace of Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe and also at the Holy Trinity, venue of the Presidential campaign rally held in Onitsha that his administration was committed to seeing the completion of the bridge on record time and expressed satisfaction on the progress of work at the new bridge.

 

 

“We decided to inspect the second Niger bridge before coming because I was hearing stories that no work was going on; I said no ‎because before I go to visit the Obi, I must go to see things for myself, I don’t want to be told.

 

“Your Majesty, I’m quite impressed with the level of work that is going on. Of course, the total value of that project is N130 billion and is being done through the Public Private Partnership (PPP) and managed by our Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF).

 

“So far, N10 billion had been spent and out of it, N1.5 billion was used  ‎for paying for damages and others things. In fact the link road that is about three kilometres from the main road to the bridge, almost 80 percent of the road had been fixed.

 

“That alone is a major project, obviously work is going on there. For now about 260 Nigerians are working there and about 50 expatriates are working there.

 

“But when the work will be in full swing, we expect that it will give about 2000 young men and women jobs and about 60‎ expatriates.

 

“So for the major projects that will occupy a number of people to execute, ‎the Julius Berger and the Minister of works have given their commitment  that the project will be completed within 14 months. And they will surely do it.

 

“I join my chairman of the PDP, to say that God’s willing, when we come, we will commission that bridge,” he stated.

 

 

‎President Jonathan, who was at the Palace to pay homage to the traditional rulers said that he always  feel  at home whenever he visits Anambra.

 

‎He applauded the support of the royal fathers to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) led Government as well as the existing cooperation between PDP and the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA).

 

 

Jonathan advised the members of the PDP and APGA to exhibit  that same camaraderie they used in jointly adopting him as their presidential candidate, and not fight against one another in other positions being contested for.

 

He urged that they see themselves as brothers and sisters from the same family and bear the interest of the state and the Nation at heart.

 

“‎When ever I’m in Anambra, there is no difference between the PDP and APGA. My only advise to those who are contesting other elections is that whatever your contesting for, you have to conduct yourself as people in the same family and village.

 

“Nobody should injure the other, whoever falls, we clap, whoever wins, we clap because the two families are one. That’s my only advise and I’m not going to say much because when I’m in Anambra,  I’m in my home.

 

“All I’m going to say is that, God’s willing, by the time we get through, ‎and our government set up, the areas of needs let the sons and daughters of this place come and tell me.

 

“Fortunately, most of them are my supporters and I’m here because of them,” he said.

 

 

‎Among the dignitaries who accompanied President Jonathan to the Palace and to the Anambra state Governor’s lodge in Onitsha, where he was also received by members of the APGA led by the Governor, Willie Obiano include the Abia State Governor, Chief Theodore Orji; Vice President, Namadi Sambo and Wife, Hajiya Amina Sambo; Dame Patience Jonathan and wife of Senate President, Helen Mark; PDP National Chairman, Alhaji Adamu Mu’azu ; Deputy PDP Chairman, Uche Secondus; Former Governor of Anambra state, Peter Obi; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim; Chief of Staff to the President, Gen. Jones Arogbofa, Aviation Minister, Osita Chidioka; Chief Arthur Eze, among others.

 

 

The Anambra state Governor, Willy Obiano assured the President that Anambra people would vote for him 100 percent, adding that he doesn’t need to campaign in the state as they had already done the home work.

 

He advised APGA members to join in the rally at the Holy Trinity, venue of the rally to give their support to the President.

 

 

‎The PDP Chairman‎ thanked APGA members and the people of Anambra for being in full support of the PDP even though they are in another party.

 

He urged them to continue to give them the support, adding that they had inspected the progress of work in the second Niger bridge which would be commissioned when completed.

 

The Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe who spoke on behalf of the entire traditional rulers in the state, assured the President Jonathan of their support to realise his second term in February 14th.

 

 

He said, “The traditional institution in Anambra state is very strong and we are supportive of the government and that is why we came here to welcome you.”

 

‎He noted that the Governor had been leading them well and that he (Jonathan) had also appointed former Gov. Obi as Deputy Director General of the Campaign organisation.

 

“We the traditional rulers are very satisfied with them‎ and we assure you our continued total support”, he assured.

 

‎At the rally ground, Holy Trinity, the Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidioka assured the President of massive support of Anambra people because he has ended the civil war in the state by numerous projects he had accomplished.

 

Other speakers include who spoke at the rally assuring massive suport for the President include: Sen. Joy Imordi, the Chief Executive Officer of Transformation Ambassadors of Nigeria, Chief Patrick Ifeanyi Uba, Business Mogul, Chief Arthur Eze; Deputy Director-General of the Presidential Campaign, Peter Obi; DG presidential Campaign, Sen. Ahmadu Ali; PDP National Chairman, Adamu Mu’azu; among others.

 

Also, Mrs. Patience  Jonathan who spoke in Ibo language said that the train of PDP campaign  had arrived.
She noted  that Jonathan is their son and in-law, they have done it before and they will do it again and thanked them.

 

She expressed gratitude to the women whom she said had been supportive, adding that the PDP had been supportive of the women in terms of appointments, health care services, among others.

 

Previous Post

We’ve distributed 80% of PVCs in Taraba -REC

Next Post

Jonathan recieves enforcement of Imo traditional rulers

Related Posts

Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ
Headlines

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026
Tinubu denies Christian, Muslim genocide in Nigeria
Headlines

Pres. Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 22 2026
FG budgets N135bn for 2027 election lawsuits
Headlines

Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 21 2026
91 groups seek INEC registration as coalition talks gather steam
Headlines

Court vacates INEC deadline for primaries, nomination of candidates

May 21 2026
Rivers State: I have no links to militants, says Fubara
Headlines

BREAKING: Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

May 20 2026
NDC clears Peter Obi for presidential primary
Headlines

NDC clears Peter Obi for presidential primary

May 20 2026
Next Post

Jonathan recieves enforcement of Imo traditional rulers

Chad: Thousands rally to support army move to fight Boko Haram

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Benue governor secures return ticket

Benue governor secures return ticket

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

May 22 2026
Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026
Benue governor secures return ticket

Benue governor secures return ticket

May 22 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Opinion

School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.