TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Supreme Court order: Banks in partial compliance, begin skeletal re-circulation of old naira notes

The Editor by The Editor
March 7 2023
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
BREAKING: Supreme Court extends validity of old naira notes to Dec 2023

Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) in the country have begun partial compliance with the Supreme Court order approving the use of old N1,000 and N500 and N200 notes as legal tender for 10 months.

The Supreme Court had, last week ordered that the old naira notes should be allowed in circulation along with the new notes until December 31, 2023.

The court had said the Federal Government’s naira redesign policy contravened the 1999 Constitution.

On Monday, findings revealed that commercial banks had begun partial compliance with the order even though the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) kept mum on the matter.

Visits to several bank branches in Lagos, Abuja and other major cities revealed that some banks had commenced compliance with the Supreme Court order.

The CBN and the AGF office had refused to comply with previous orders by the Supreme Court on the controversial naira redesign policy.

Among others, the Supreme Court had on February 8, 2023 nullified the February 10 deadline stipulated by the CBN for the phasing out of the old naira notes.

The CBN and the AGF office however failed to comply with the directive.

While the CBN and AGF office failed to take a decision on the latest order by the Supreme Court order, some commercial banks on Monday began to pay their customers the old notes.

Several Gtbank branches in Lagos and Abuja paid customers the old N1000 and N500 notes on Monday, according to findings.

Also, several branches of the United Bank for Africa paid customers the old N1000 and N500 notes.

However, other commercial banks refused to paid their customers, saying they were awaiting CBN directive on the matter.

Findings by The PUNCH showed that the CBN had yet to issue a directive to banks on the matter but some banks relied on the Supreme Court ruling to go ahead with paying their customers.

“No clear official directive from CBN yet but we have to go ahead because customers are suffering. Also, the Supreme Court has ruled on it,’’ a top official of a tier-1 bank told The PUNCH on condition of anonymity.

However, officials of FCMB, Polaris Bank, Access Bank among others said they were still waiting for the CBN directive on the matter.

Meanwhile, all efforts to get the CBN to comment on the Supreme Court ruling failed as the acting Director of Corporate Communications Department, CBN, Dr Isa Abdulmumin, declined to comment.

At the GTBank in Olowoira, Lagos, several customers were seen on queues collecting the old N500 notes from the bank’s cashiers.

However, it was observed that some bank customers rejected the old notes over fears that traders might not accept them as legal tender.

A customer, who simply identified himself as Benjamin said, “I came here very early and I was given number 208. I had to leave and come back and now I am still on the queue; I was expecting the queue would have stopped but it is still there, though not as long as it was before.

“The annoying thing now is that they are giving only the old N500 and N1,000 notes and I am not sure traders will accept the old notes from me.

However, several customers complained about scarcity of old notes in bank ATMs across several branches.

A customer, who came out of the GTBank branch in Ojodu Berger, said, “I was still here last week and the ATMs still dispensed new notes, even though I had to stay on a long queue to get to my turn. But now, you can see, all their ATMs are dry. None is dispensing money.”

At the Polaris Bank in Olowoira, many frustrated depositors stayed on queue and refused to leave even after the bank officials said the bank had closed for the day at 2pm.

“Speaking with our correspondent, the official said, “We don’t have the new and old notes to give anybody. We opened at 8am and closed at 2pm, and all we did was to attend to complaints, transfers and enquiries. All these people still standing outside are on their own because we are not attending to anybody today again.”

In Ojodu, our correspondent visited four banks which are located on Ogunnusi road.

At First Bank, there was a small crowd in front of the bank, waiting for the ATMs to be loaded with cash. The bank was shut, and when our correspondent inquired from one of the security guards, he said there was no cash to give out.

At Access Bank, our correspondent gathered that the bank had run out of cash.

The bank was however giving out tallies to customer it would attend to the following day.

A security guard told our correspondent that the bank paid some customers old naira notes in the morning but had run out of cash.

At Union Bank in the same area, there was no activity in the bank’s premises especially at the ATMs.

The story was the same at Ecobank, where the bank was shut. One security guard told our correspondent that the branch had been instructed by its head office to shut down operations by 1pm.

When asked why the bank did not pay out old notes following a Supreme Court order, our correspondent was told that the bank had yet to receive any directive from the CBN.

Meanwhile, a senior executive with Sterling Bank who would not want to be quoted, told our correspondent that some of its branches in the Ajah area of Lagos had received significant amounts of the old naira notes.

According to him, the bank’s customers who were apprehensive of the public perception surrounding the old notes refused to collect them.

He said, “Customers refused to collect the old notes. I was at three of our branches in Ajah today, and not a single customer agreed to collect the old notes.”

Banks visited in the Mazamaza area of Lagos were not dispensing cash. They only attended to customers who needed customer care service.

A customer who came out of the Union Bank branch in the area, Michelle Taju, said that the branch neither had network nor cash.

“They don’t have network and they don’t have cash; old or new. I have been told to come back.”

Also, a banker told our correspondent that they had yet to get any directive from its headquarters on the Supreme Court ruling.

“We are still waiting for directives on the Supreme Court ruling, nothing yet,” she said.

At Access Bank, Zenith Bank and Wema Bank in the Federal Secretariat area of Abuja on Monday, it was observed that the banks had yet to commence paying customers with the old N500 and N1,000 notes after the Supreme Court order.

At Access Bank in Federal Secretariat, when our correspondent asked the security man if the bank had commenced paying customers with the old currency, he said, “Not yet because there is no cash.”

At Zenith Bank, it was observed the lender was not paying cash because it had run out of old and new notes.

At the Wema Bank in the same area, the situation was the same.

It was further observed that none of the ATMs of these banks was dispensing cash.

Meanwhile, motorists continued to reject the old notes despite the court order.

A bus driver plying Mile 2-Oshodi route stopped at Second Rainbow bus stop and asked a passenger to get down after he gave his conductor old N1,000 note.

This provoked reactions from other passengers.

“You cannot blame the driver, until our Buhari speaks, we cannot be sure,” a passenger said.

A trader on Airport Road in Ibadan, who supplies food stuff and essential items to customers in Lagos, Jumoke Edwards, told our correspondent on Monday that she was not collecting the old notes.

She said, “This is because ever since the Supreme Court gave its ruling on Friday, we have not heard from the CBN in that regard. As for me, until the CBN corroborates the Supreme Court order, I will not collect old naira notes from anybody.”

The confusion in the economy had continued to mount despite calls from several quarters, urging the Federal Government to direct the CBN to comply with the court ruling.

This came as many continued to decry the negative effect of the naira crunch on their businesses and living standard.

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) had urged Buhari to immediately obey the Supreme Court.

SERAP urged Buhari “to disclose the measures that your government is taking to direct the CBN to immediately re-circulate the old N200, N500, and N1,000 notes, as ordered by the Supreme Court.” – Punch.

 

Previous Post

IReV: INEC uploads 92% of election results

Next Post

INEC challenges Atiku, Obi’s suit on BVAS inspection

Related Posts

APC waives primaries screening for Tinubu
Latest News

Tinubu wins APC presidential primary with 10.9m votes

May 24 2026
Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher
Governance

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ
Headlines

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026
Tinubu denies Christian, Muslim genocide in Nigeria
Headlines

Pres. Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 22 2026
BBC to air groundbreaking documentary on Biafran War
Latest News

BBC to air groundbreaking documentary on Biafran War

May 22 2026
APC imposes two-week deadline for presidential, guber, NASS forms
Latest News

APC unveils 25 guber candidates as Kwara, Bauchi primaries suffer delay

May 22 2026
Next Post
INEC confirms BVAS delivery in 27 states

INEC challenges Atiku, Obi’s suit on BVAS inspection

U-20 AFCON: 10-man Gambia stun Nigeria to reach final

U-20 AFCON: 10-man Gambia stun Nigeria to reach final

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Benue governor secures return ticket

Benue governor secures return ticket

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
APC waives primaries screening for Tinubu

Tinubu wins APC presidential primary with 10.9m votes

May 24 2026
Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

May 22 2026
Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Opinion

School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.