TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

WAEC disagrees with Presidency over Buhari’s certificate

The Citizen by The Citizen
November 4 2018
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
BREAKING: WAEC presents certificate to Buhari

The Presidency and the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), on Saturday, disagreed on the reason for the issuance of an Attestation of Results to President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday.

While the Presidency insisted that Buhari didn’t apply for the results of the West African School Certificate Examination, which he claimed to have sat for in 1961, the examination body said the document was issued because the President applied for it.

WAEC’s spokesman, Damianus Ojijeogu, stated this in an interview with our correspondent on Saturday.

Ojijeogu, in an interview said, “We would not have given him the document if he didn’t apply. It is only Buhari or a court that can ask for the results. There is no other person. So he asked for it.”

Also, WAEC said in issuing an Attestation of Results to replace a lost or missing WAEC certificate, the subjects, where the candidate had F9, would no longer be captured.

WAEC Nigeria said these on its Twitter handle, @waecnigeria, on Saturday, while answering questions from several Nigerians on the omission of F9 from Buhari’s attestation.

“That is WAEC Twitter handle. It is correct,” Ojijeogu added, confirming the authenticity of the post on the handle.

The documents were presented to the President at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, during a courtesy visit by a delegation of WAEC led by its Registrar, Dr. Iyi Uwadiae.

Uwadiae was accompanied by the Head, National Office, WAEC, Olutise Adenipekun; Head, Public Affairs, WAEC, Abiodun Aduloju; and the Zonal Coordinator, WAEC Abuja, Olufemi Oke.

Buhari received the documents amidst the controversy generated over his claim in his details presented to the Independent National Electoral Commission that his credentials were with the Military Board.

The board had subsequently declared the President’s certificate missing, hence the need for him to get an attestation and a confirmation.

Earlier on its Twitter handle on Saturday, the examination body had stated, “You cannot apply for Attestation of Results or any other document if you have not registered and sat for the examination.

“The documents for application are a letter of application, police report on lost or damaged certificate, photocopy of lost or damaged certificate, two recent passport-sized photographs of the candidate, sworn affidavit for collection of attestation of results and administrative fee of N20,000.”

But the Presidency, which spoke through Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said the initiative to make the documents available to the President was that of the examination body.

Shehu, in an interview on Saturday, said WAEC authorities made it clear that they read about the controversy generated by the President’s missing certificate and saw the need to save the council’s integrity.

The presidential spokesman added, “No, the President did not apply for the documents. I made this clear in an opinion I wrote on Friday.

“The presentation of the documents to the President was strictly an initiative of WAEC.

“They said they read about the controversy on the pages of newspapers and saw the need to save the integrity of the council.”

Shehu had, in an opinion, titled ‘President Buhari, WAEC and PDP’s toxic air’, on Friday, quoted the examination body as saying that the controversy concerning Buhari’s school certificate was embarrassing and felt a sense of duty to produce and deliver the documents to him.

He had said, “This is a god-send, with WAEC being a non-political entity. This should put to rest the absurd allegations by the Peoples Democratic Party, brought up again and again, that he (Buhari) did not attend a secondary school.”

WAEC said the controversy surrounding the President’s picture was due to a guideline that the council used the photograph of the applicant for the attestation and not the pupil’s picture as of the time of sitting for the examination.

WAEC also said it did not issue the attestation of results to Buhari in 2015 because there was no application for it.

It said, “WAEC does not record fail in certificates. He (Buhari) did not apply for it in 2015. In August 2015, the council introduced Attestation of Results that can be obtained on request and that can serve as a replacement for lost or missing certificates.

“It should be the passport photo he (Buhari) submitted during the application for Attestation of Results. Attestation of Results carries passport of the candidate’s application when he or she applied. Candidates were first issued Attestation of Results by WAEC Nigeria in 2015.

“What we presented to President Buhari on Friday was a Statement/Attestation of Results and not a certificate. Subjects that a candidate had F9s in are no longer captured in certificates or Attestation of Results.” – Punch.

 

Previous Post

2019: I can never work for Atiku – Tinubu

Next Post

FG, NLC to meet today over minimum wage

Related Posts

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty
Latest News

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

May 21 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ
Latest News

Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ

May 21 2026
FG budgets N135bn for 2027 election lawsuits
Headlines

Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 21 2026
91 groups seek INEC registration as coalition talks gather steam
Headlines

Court vacates INEC deadline for primaries, nomination of candidates

May 21 2026
Rivers State: I have no links to militants, says Fubara
Headlines

BREAKING: Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

May 20 2026
Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch
Latest News

Kidnappers abduct two Cocoa Institute workers in Oyo, police arrest two

May 20 2026
Next Post
FG, NLC to meet today over minimum wage

FG, NLC to meet today over minimum wage

Time to end the Shi’ite conundrum – Daily Trust

Time to end the Shi’ite conundrum - Daily Trust

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

State of the States

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
NDLEA launches radio station, warns against pop culture glorifying drug abuse

NDLEA launches radio station, warns against pop culture glorifying drug abuse

May 21 2026
Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

May 21 2026
APC declares Hamzat Lagos governorship candidate for 2027

APC declares Hamzat Lagos governorship candidate for 2027

May 21 2026
Jamilu Gwamna clinches Gombe APC governorship ticket

Jamilu Gwamna clinches Gombe APC governorship ticket

May 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.