TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

NLC, TUC reject moves to list labour on concurrent list

The Citizen by The Citizen
May 12 2014
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

The leadership of the two major labour movements in the country have rejected the recommendations made by the Committee on Devolution of Power at the ongoing National Conference to transfer all labour matters from the exclusive list to the concurrent list.

The two labour unions under  auspices of Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress, said in a joint press conference in Abuja on Sunday, that the position of the Committee on the Devolution of Power contradicted the position of the Committee on Civil Society, Labour and Sports, which recommended the retention of all labor matters in the exclusive list.

The Chief Economist of the Trade Union, Dr. Peter Ozo-Esan, who represented the President of the NLC, Mr. Abdulwahed Omar, and the President of the Trade Union Congress, Mr. Bobboi Kaigama, accused the former Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Victor Attah, of waging a vendetta against labour.

The duo said that Attah took the decision to revisit the issue which had been laid to rest after the last attempt by the Senate to remove labour issues from the exclusive list because of a sympathy strike by a university union in his state over a national issue when he was governor.

“It is indeed surprising that a former state governor who many hitherto have regarded as a statesman, could decend so low as to resort to vendetta because a local union in his state once went on sympathy strike over a national issue,” they said.

Ozo-Esan and Kaigama said that the organised labour would resist any move to destroy the national labour movement insisting that the Attah’s Committee made the inimical recommendation without contacting labour, which was pointed to them.

They said that the time had come for politicians who were bent of drawing the country backwards to be called to order.

The labour leaders said that politicians who contributed to the rot of the country should not be allowed to take actions that could threaten the continuing existence of the country.

“Those who have contributed to the rot of the past that has brought the country to the sorry state where it’s today should not be allowed to mislead the country into disintegration,” they said.

Previous Post

Court sentences oil marketers to three years imprisonment

Next Post

The Sun appoints new DMD, directors

Next Post

The Sun appoints new DMD, directors

Okonjo-Iweala to inaugurate Unilorin oil palm plantation

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.