TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Boko Haram seizes five Nigerian towns in five days

The Citizen by The Citizen
September 7 2014
in Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

The fundamentalist Islamic sect, Boko Haram, has seized five North-Eastern towns in five days killing hundreds and leaving thousands of residents fleeing for safety as it continues its quest to establish a caliphate in the country.

The towns captured within the last few days included Bara, Banki and Gulak in Borno State while Madagali and Bama were seized in Adamawa State.

Bama was seized by the rampaging terrorist group on September 1 and Banki overran the next day. By September 3, Bara, another town in the North-East was captured by the invading Islamist militants. Gulak and Madagali fell to the militants on Saturday.

Data from different population websites show that the five towns have a combined population figure of 170, 743 (Bama -118,121; Madagali -12,919; Bara -11,673; Banki -4,935; Gulaki -23,095).

Earlier in July, the sect had displaced thousands of people after it seized six other towns in Borno and Yobe states. The towns included Dikwa -29,026; Buni Yadi -4,768; Gamboru Ngala -240,000; Gwoza -15,176; Damboa -233,200 and Marte -15,707 with a total population of 537,877.

The Secretary to the Government of Adamawa state, Prof. Liman Tukur, on Saturday confirmed the capitulation of Gulak and Madagali.

During the attacks, the sect reportedly burnt down the residence of a former Special Adviser to the President on Politics, Dr. Ahmed Gulak in Gula.

A source also said on Saturday that the rampaging insurgents razed the residence of the acting Governor of Adamawa State, Adamu Fintiri in the town. Both Gulak and Fintirin are indigenes of Gulak community.

Reports from Michika, headquarters of Michika Council which borders Madagali local government area, showed that residents of some villages were fleeing to Uba, Mubi and Yola towns out of fear of possible attacks.

Tukur in a statement said the insurgents killed and displaced many people in the towns during their attacks.

He said, “It has come to the attention of the Adamawa State Government that insurgents are now in Gulak, the headquarters of Madagali Local Government Area and had killed and displaced scores of people.

“On behalf of the people and government of Adamawa, we deeply sympathise with the people of Gulak and other surrounding villages and towns whose areas have been overran by insurgents.

“The concomitant effects of the insurgency like displacement of whole villages and towns create multitudes of internally displaced persons whose management and welfare, the government is left to bear.”

Our correspondent could not get the Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen Chris Olukolade, to comment on the new developments in Adamawa as calls to his mobile telephone did not connect.

Also, Olukolade had not responded to a text message on the issue as of the time of filing this report.

Meanwhile, the heavy bombardment of Bama, Borno State’s second largest city, by the Nigeria Air Force entered its third day on Saturday.

SUNDAY PUNCH learnt over the weekend that NAF fighter jets and bombers rained bombs on the city and Gwoza, another city held by the insurgents, in a bid to flush them out.

The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosun, had reportedly moved to Borno to supervise the ongoing aerial bombardment of the two towns.

A senior military source, who confided in one of our correspondents, said the Air Force had deployed ATR 42 aircraft, Alpha jets, Mi35 helicopters and F7 jets in the troubled region.

The military, the source said, is using the ATR 42 aircraft for visual surveillance.

Even as the bombs rained on these two cities, the military might be preparing to launch an onslaught against the insurgents in the two cities. It was further gathered on Friday night that the Army was moving equipment and personnel to Bama to battle the insurgents.

An indigene of Maiduguri, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said he saw movement of military hardware and personnel on the road leading to one of the seized cities. He said, he saw Hillux vehicles in military colours, machine guns mounted on trucks and other military equipment on the Maiduguri-Bama Road.

Efforts by SUNDAY PUNCH to get the comments of the Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade, on the military operation did not succeed as calls to his mobile telephone did not connect.

Also, Olukolade had not responded to a text message on the issue as of the time of filing this report.

However on Friday, the Defence Headquarters had issued a statement to reassure Nigerians that the insurgents would be flushed out of Bama and Gwoza.

The statement says, “Everything will be done to reverse the situation and defeat the rampaging terrorists.

“It is necessary to reassure all that the Nigerian Armed Forces is more than ever determined and committed to the defence of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Nigeria, regardless of any odds. It is not only the pride and reputation of the military that is at stake but that of the entire nation.”

Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency has moved more of its officers from its headquarters in Abuja to Maiduguri.

The relocation of the officers to Maiduguri followed the displacement of thousands of residents of Gwoza and Bama following attacks on the towns by Boko Haram.

Thousands of residents, who fled Bama, are currently being quartered at Mai Mutari Day Secondary School and Mai Mutari Primary School near the Bama Park, Maiduguri.

Many of them were reported to have arrived with no food and few clothes.

One of our correspondents gathered that senior officers of the agency were directed to relocate to Borno to help the internally displaced persons in the state.

A senior official with the agency who pleaded not to be named due to the sensitive nature of the issue, said, “Hundreds of residents of Bama were displaced and most of them fled to Maiduguri, but their situation is under control because we have been on the alert since the insurgency started.”

When contacted, Senior Information Officer, NEMA, Mr. Datti Sani, told one of our correspondents that he did not know the actual number of displaced persons in the state but maintained that the agency was in Maiduguri.

He said, “Although I cannot give you the latest update as to what was done in Bama today, I can assure you that we have been on ground since the insurgency started and we have ensured that we take care of those that are displaced.”

In a related development, youth groups in Borno State have scored the Federal Government low in its war against terrorist activities in the North-East.

Leaders of the groups, who spoke to SUNDAY PUNCH in separate interviews on Friday, said they decided to take up arms, when activities of the Boko Haram sect intensified despite military presence and the state of emergency declared in the area.

Speaking to one of our correspondents, the President, Kibaku Youth Association of Nigeria (a community in Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State), Mr. Moses Zakwa, said it was true that Boko Haram was gaining “an upper hand in the war”.

Zakwa said, “We are fully in support of the action of the youths in Maiduguri. The people of the state have lost confidence in the military, especially with the recent happenings. And as the citizens of the area, it would be better for us to stand up and defend our land.

“That is what is going on there now. As we know, most of the major towns have been captured by Boko Haram and we believe that they are planning more attacks on more locations that we consider to be safe. That is why the youths are ready and prepared to go after them and to defend the area.”

The youths’ leader called on the Federal Government to “wake up,” while security agents should be motivated and equipped.

Also, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Pan Chibok Youths Association, Dr. Allen Manasseh, said youths had been consulting with leaders in the state on how to take on the sect.

“The plan was for them to go to Bama through Gwoza, and then to Sambisa Forest,” he said.

Manasseh added that those in government had not been fighting the insurgency with sincerity.

He said, “There is no single person that is telling the truth. Everybody is lying. Everybody should join hands to fight Boko Haram, not somebody blaming another person.

“I can affirm that the sect is taking over because of the mass exodus of people from that place. People are always afraid because anytime the sect notifies them of an impending attack, it usually actualises it.”

Over 10,000 youths had on Thursday thronged the streets of Maiduguri, the state capital, protesting against the increasing spate of attacks in the state by the sect.

The youths, who first assembled at the popularly Ramat Square Ground, later moved to the palace of the Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar el-Kanemi, saying they were willing to confront the terror group if given the go ahead. Punch

Previous Post

… Maiduguri may come under attack, Warns Senator Zannah

Next Post

Jonathan urges Nigerians to pray for security forces

Related Posts

Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers
Headlines

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
93 percent of inmates are state offenders, half don’t need jail — Interior Minister
Headlines

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

August 21 2026
US Congress okays bill to cut foreign aid to Nigeria
Headlines

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

August 21 2026
DSS rejects foreign funding for proposed security trust fund
Headlines

DSS alerts Sokoto as terrorists target tertiary institutions

August 21 2026
Governance

States get special N435bn for security, infrastructure

August 21 2026
Auto Draft
Headlines

Presidency, OPS kick against Atiku’s petrol subsidy push

August 21 2026
Next Post

Jonathan urges Nigerians to pray for security forces

Bride, groom shot dead on wedding eve

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.