TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

EFCC arrests Adoke at Abuja airport over $1.06b Malabu deal

The Citizen by The Citizen
December 20 2019
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
EFCC arrests Adoke at Abuja airport over $1.06b Malabu deal

A former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Mohammed Bello Adoke (SAN) was on Thursday taken into custody by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), shortly after returning into the country.

He was undergoing grilling at the Wuse 2 Annex Office of the anti-graft commission as at 9.32pm. Adoke’s passport was seized by the agency.

The EFCC on its twitter handle said the ex-AGF left Dubai after it mounted pressure.

The anti-graft agency tweeted: “The EFCC boss, Ibrahim Magu, and Dubai authorities have held series of meetings in respect of the former attorney general. He was accompanied by INTERPOL officers on Emirates Airlines Flight 785.

“The aircraft departed the Emirates commercial capital at about 11am Dubai time (8am Nigerian time) and touched down at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja at 3:45pm. Officers of the EFCC were on ground at the airport when he arrived.”

A statement by its spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, said: “His return to Nigeria clears the way for him to answer to the charges against him”.

He added: “Mr Adoke who fled the country in 2015, has pending criminal charge brought against him by the EFCC for alleged abuse of office and money laundering in respect of the granting of the Oil Prospecting License (OPL) 245 to Shell and ENI.”

The former minister wore a white Kaftan and a white cap to match. He also had a nose mask on.

Adoke was picked up at the foot of the aircraft by EFCC operatives and transferred into a Toyota bus marked RBC 931 BV.

The ex-minister kept himself busy reading a book while waiting for airport formalities.

Adoke’s lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN), entered the airport arrival  hall at about 4. 12pm. He was making telephone calls, walking up and down. Shortly after, he exited the hall.

Anxious reporters followed him to the car park where he claimed his client had been taken  to the INTERPOL  office in Abuja.

Ozekhome, in a statement, quoted him   as saying he was not afraid of trial.

The Nation learnt that after talks with the EFCC, INTERPOL accepted Adoke’s  offer to  return on his volition and submit himself for prosecution.

A top EFFC source confirmed that in the last 48 hours, there had been talks between INTERPOL and the anti-graft agency on the terms of  Adoke’s return.

He said: “The Acting Chairman of the EFCC had been in Dubai for a meeting and he took time off to be part of the talks.

“There was a stalemate over a letter of attestation on the vacation of the bench warrant on Adoke.

“While Adoke insisted that he was no longer wanted for any crime, the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation did not write a letter of attestation to back his claim.

“So the options available were to continue to keep Adoke in INTERPOL custody, a prolonged legal battle, outright deportation, likelihood of extradition and consenting to Adoke’s voluntary offer to return to Nigeria.

“Adoke did not want deportation since he is still innocent until proven guilty. Having watch-listed Adoke, the options before the INTERPOL were: deport the ex-AGF or allow a voluntary return under a guided trip by its detectives.

“The EFCC was expected to take custody of Adoke on arrival at the airport.

“These are the details of the pre-trip talks  between Adoke, INTERPOL and the EFCC.”

An EFCC source said: “Adoke is undergoing intense grilling and it has become necessary to detain him. He will be with us for some days as allowed by the law.

“We will accord him necessary courtesy and be fair and thorough in our interrogation.

“We seized his passport at the airport immediately we picked him.”

Lawyers to the ex-AGF claimed they were not allowed access to their client.

A counsel in Chief Mike Ozekhome’s chambers, Oluchi Vivian Uche, said: “We proceeded alongside my boss to INTERPOL, in Area 10. The CP showed us his discharge letter to EFCC

“We are currently with the EFCC but not allowed access yet because they are still clocking him in.”

Adoke is being probed alongside others over $1.06billion Malabu Oil Block (OPL 245) deal.

The ex-AGF was arrested in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, on November 11 after being watch-listed by the EFCC.

He travelled out of Nigeria in May, 2015 on the expiration of his term as minister.

Adoke, Dan Etete and others are expected to account for the $1.06b deal on Malabu Oil Block (OPL 245).

In one of the charges before the High Court of the FCT, Adoke, Etete, Aliyu Abubakar and Malabu Oil and Gas Limited were alleged to have received $801,540,000 from Shell Nigeria Exploration Production Company, Nigeria Agip Exploration Limited and ENI SPA in relation to the grant of Oil Prospecting Licence (OPL 245).

The allegations against Adoke are: Conspiracy and money laundering on Malabu Oil Block;   conflict of interest on  the said oil  block and  involvement in the $9.6b  judgment award against Nigeria by Process and Industrial Developments (P&ID)

He is also to explain  the $2, 267, 400 Malabu oil cash paid to a Bureau De Change operator which was changed at N152.24 rate amounting to N345, 200,000.

Adoke has denied all allegations.  His lawyer said: “On the morning of Tuesday, 11th of November, 2019, our client arrived Dubai for a scheduled medical check-up.

“While he was undergoing immigration checks, he was informed that Interpol had a Warrant to arrest him.

“He was shocked to his bones and marrow. This is because although a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) had issued a warrant of arrest against our client on the 17th of April, 2019, following an ex parte application by the EFCC, the same court had duly vacated the said arrest warrant order on the 25th of October, 2019, following our challenge of the ex parte order, and after a  robust court argument between the EFCC (government) counsel and my humble self.

“There was therefore no existing arrest warrant on which the Interpol’s arrest was made. This was well reported by the media.

“Our client duly showed Interpol officials copies of the certified court order by Justice Danlami Z. Senchi. He also showed them the 17th of April, 2018, judgment of the Federal High Court, Abuja, delivered by Justice Binta Nyako, to the effect that our client could not be held liable for obeying lawful presidential directives on the OPL 245 transaction.

“The Interpol officials, however, said only the Warrant of Arrest was communicated to them by the Federal Government, and not any of these overriding court processes.

“The vacation and setting aside of the warrant of arrest order made by   Justice   Senchi was curiously not communicated to the Interpol or the UAE authorities.

“But, they insisted that they could only deal with the Nigerian government, which must first communicate to them, the said vacation and setting aside of the warrant of arrest.

“Our client told them that he was ready to return to Nigeria on his own accord after his medicals; yet, they still kept him in illegal custody for over one month after running into a legal logjam. It was very clear to them that the government of Nigeria did not have any legal basis or grounds to extradite Mr Adoke back to Nigeria.

“In his undertaking before the Dubai authorities, Adoke signed as follows: “I would go to Nigeria authorities to solve my problem, and without any stress or pressure from Dubai Police or anyone.”

“It was only on 21st December, 2016, nearly one and half years after he went to the Netherlands to pursue his Masters  degree that the EFCC charged him before the FCT High Court on his alleged role in the OPL 245 transaction.

“Our client verily believes he has done no wrong in merely carrying out his statutory duties. Indeed, his houses in Kano and Okene in Kogi State were extensively searched even in his absence, with the EFCC finding nothing incriminating against him.

“He has repeatedly said and he now reiterates it again and again that he did not collect one kobo or any sum howsoever, from the oil and gas transaction. He stands by this truism.

“Indeed, it must be pointed out that two witnesses who testified at the ongoing trial of the oil companies in Milan, Italy exonerated Mr Adoke. Mr Edan Tofik ogly Agaev, a former Russian Ambassador to Colombia.

“One of them said he was pressured in to mentioning a name in his interrogation by FBI and he consequently called Adoke’s name.

“He has therefore refused to adopt or accept his involuntary statement which he made. He therefore refused to adopt his involuntary statement he made to the FBI in court.

“The other, Mr Vincenzo Armanna, a former ENI manager, who is also on trial, told the same court that our client had. In fact threatened to arrested and prosecute ENI officials for attempting to negotiate kickbacks in the transaction.

“Our client insists that this is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.” The Nation

Previous Post

Court invasion: Senate asks DSS, Malami to submit memorandum

Next Post

Nigeria: We’re in a big hole as a nation —T.Y Danjuma

Related Posts

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
Latest News

Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case

May 18 2026
BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria
Headlines

BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria

May 18 2026
BREAKING: 17 reps dump ADC for NDC
Latest News

NDC shifts deadline for nomination forms to May 24

May 18 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Oyo school attack: Senate, Yoruba leaders demand action as distress videos emerge

May 18 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Oyo abduction: Please come to our aid – Abducted school principal cries out from captivity

May 17 2026
Next Post
Danjuma alleges ethnic cleansing, asks Nigerians to defend themselves against killings

Nigeria: We’re in a big hole as a nation —T.Y Danjuma

I contemplated suicide after office because of Osinbajo, Magu, Ndume – Former Attorney-General, Adoke

Court grants EFCC request to detain Adoke for 14 days

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

FirstBank confirms appointment of Olayinka Ijabiyi as Group Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications

FirstBank confirms appointment of Olayinka Ijabiyi as Group Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications

by The Editor
May 1 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

May 18 2026
EFCC to apologise to doctors after Uyo hospital raid

EFCC to apologise to doctors after Uyo hospital raid

May 18 2026
Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Jonathan, AGF ask court to dismiss suit challenging 2027 eligibility

May 18 2026
APC makes U-turn, clears Ben Murray-Bruce, four others for senatorial primary

APC makes U-turn, clears Ben Murray-Bruce, four others for senatorial primary

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.