TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

FG disbands NATFORCE, DSS vows to dislodge terrorists before 2023 elections

The Citizen by The Citizen
September 16 2022
in Governance
A A
0
Interior Ministry: I will not resign over jailbreaks, says Aregbesola

The National Security Council meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari has declared the National Task Force on Prohibition of Illegal, Importation/Smuggling of Arms, Ammunition, Light Weapons, Chemical Weapons and Pipeline Vandalism (NATFORCE) illegal.

The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, who briefed journalists, alongside his Police Affairs counterpart, Mohammed Dingyadi, advised the NATFORCE leadership to disband itself with immediate effect, or risk being disbanded forcefully by security agencies.

The Senate had, in July, passed into law the Bill establishing the Commission, while the House of Representatives is expected to pass its version upon resumption in September 2022.

Aregbesola also said investigation into the Kuje correctional facility attack by gunmen is still work in progress. He said the council received reports from all service chiefs and the Inspector General of Police, adding that the council chaired by president Buhari was “very satisfied” with the performance of all security agencies and that the country is moving to the phase of consolidation.

He said the council also commended the police for their performance during the Anambra, Ekiti and Osun governorship elections.

“The Council has just concluded today’s meeting. It received briefings from all security chiefs and the Council is very satisfied with the performances of all our security chiefs; the military, the police and other security agencies. We are happy with their performance and the gains recorded, so far.

“We are moving to the phase of consolidation of all those gains, such that by December, as ordered by the Chairman of the Council, the President, which he has said to all Nigerians before now, that we’ll put, essentially, most of the challenges of banditry, particularly, insurgency, kidnapping for ransom and criminalities of that nature, far behind us.

“We are equally pleased with the performance of the Nigeria Police in the elections in Anambra, Ekiti and Osun, which has demonstrated our commitment to democracy and expression of the will of the people at the polls.

“Equally of concern is the presence of some illegal outfits that impersonate the legitimate security agencies. Of particular concern is a body called National Task Force on Illegal Importation of Goods, Small Arms and what have you, but the short name for it is NATFORCE.

“The Council declares that body an illegal organisation; it should just simply disband itself, because the Council has ordered all security agencies to enforce the disbandment of that body and other such bodies that operate illegally without any force of law,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Police Affairs, Mohammed Dingiyadi, has assured that they are other negotiators involved in the negotiations with kidnappers of Abuja -Kaduna train abduction, insisting that Tukur Mamu’s arrest will not stop negotiations.

“Efforts are ongoing to have all Nigerians in the captivity of either kidnappers or bandits and we are not sparing anything to get them released. Mamu has been arrested by the DSS for actions that are not friendly to the objective of security management and control, as it concerns the victims of kidnapping that you have mentioned.

“The matter is in court and the court has ruled accordingly. We are not sparing any effort to release our abducted brothers and sisters, who are still in captivity.”

Meanwhile, the Department of State Services (DSS) have vowed to cage all religious, political and tribal leaders and groups responsible for the insecurity ravaging the country before the 2023 general elections.

Specifically, the DSS said it would go after those perceived to be sponsoring terrorism, banditry, kidnapping and other violent crimes in the country, irrespective of their political, religious and public status.

Already, the service said it has collated the data of such persons, in readiness to effect their arrest any moment from now. The move, according to the Director General, DSS, Mohammed Yusuf Bichi, is to pave the way for a smooth, free, fair and safe conduct of the 2023 general elections in the country. He said they would not be allowed to escape as they are being monitored on a 24-hour basis.

Bichi made the disclosure at a ceremony organised by staff of the organisation to mark his four years in office, unveiling of a book written in his honour and the renewal of another four-year term in office by President Muhammadu Buhari, at the Service headquarters, on Wednesday night.

The book, A Compendium of YM Bichi’s Legacy at the DSS, was written by the Public Relations Officer, Dr Peter Afunanya, to record successes and achievements of the DG during his first four years (2018-2022) in office.

The DG, while listing terrorism, banditry, kidnapping and other violent crimes as some of the insecurity challenges bedevilling the country, said the service would no longer fold its arms to watch those perpetrating these evils to move about and carry on with their deadly activities.

He said the DSS,  who the military, the police, the various security agencies and, indeed, the general public rely on for intelligence, is working round the clock, to get all criminals and their sponsors out of the way before the 2023 general elections.

Bichi said the agency was more than ever well equipped with state-of-the-art technological equipment and manpower and has undergone various training within and outside the country, to render the services which it was established for.

He said in the coming days, weeks and months, Nigerians would get to know those who have been championing the insecurity in the country, using religion and other dubious means as cover to perpetrate their evil acts, to the detriments of innocent and law abiding citizens. He said these sets of people would not be allowed to escape as they were being monitored 24 hours.

The DG, while noting the task before the service as enormous, given the security challenges in the country, however, pointed out that with the level of manpower and technology the service has acquired in the last few years, the task was surmountable.

Bichi, who thanked president Buhari for appointing him for a second term in office, said: “I thank the president for finding me worthy of serving once again. With this, I am fully aware, and you should also know that the task before us is quite enormous and challenging, but we have to navigate. Our operations definitely will be driven by technology, by professionals and with commitment.

“And I have to tell you that we are up to the task and committed to address the security challenges facing the country. All the services rely on us and we are not going to fail them. It is a commitment.

“Definitely, in the next couple of days, weeks or months, all those responsible for all these insecurity will definitely be rounded up and they will never escape.

“We started from these years compiling, analysing and building our data on people who definitely want to undermine the security of this nation or even our democracy. And we are not going to allow that to happen. We took that resolve and we are going to do it. And when we say we are going to do it, everybody knows that once this service says that they are going to do it, they will surely do it.

“Recently, people thought that Igboho would never be arrested by any security agency, but we told them that you can say that to the marines, not to this service. Once we want to deal with you, we deal with you, but in a fair manner and justice. So, justice and fairness will guide us.”

He thanked personnel of the organisation for their commitment and cooperation over the years, and promised to take the service to a greater height in his second tenure. He also thanked the public relations officer, Dr Afunaya, for the publication of the book. – The Sun.

Previous Post

2023: PDP appoints Emmanuel, Tambuwal to lead presidential campaign

Next Post

Bandits invade Niger LG, kill one, abduct 10

Related Posts

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance
Governance

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

August 20 2026
FCTA begins demolition of encroachment on water channels
Governance

FCTA begins demolition of encroachment on water channels

August 20 2026
FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector
Financial Crimes

FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector

August 19 2026
Shettima resumes duties after two-week leave
Governance

Shettima resumes duties after two-week leave

August 19 2026
Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu
Governance

Adeleke unveils N500m fund, scholarships for Osun pre-election violence victims

August 19 2026
NELFUND caps student loan repayment threshold
Governance

NELFUND caps student loan repayment threshold

August 18 2026
Next Post
Death toll hits 40 in bandits’ attack on Kaduna villages

Bandits invade Niger LG, kill one, abduct 10

Policeman loses life as INEC confirms abduction of three staff in Katsina

Terrorists storm Katsina community, kill businessman, abduct others

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

August 20 2026
Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

August 20 2026
Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

August 20 2026
Super Eagles bow 1-2 to Algeria in friendly

Senate summons NFF, NSC over Nigeria’s football crises

August 20 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.