TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Lockdown easing: Fear, anxiety grip Nigerians as work resumes today

The Citizen by The Citizen
May 4 2020
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
Lockdown easing: Fear, anxiety grip Nigerians as work resumes today

As the Federal Government begins a gradual easing of the 5-week old lockdown that saw most business premises and offices closed across various states in the country, Nigerians including staff of various organisations are rather perplexed as to the form most business activities would take on resumption of duty from today.

According to a Federal Government directive to affected state governments last week, Lagos and Ogun States as well as the Federal Capital Territory which have been on lockdown since March 27, 2020 are expected  relax restriction on free movement even as banks and selected businesses are to also resume today.

While news of the relaxation came as a relief to many, some Nigerians, especially the working class have expressed apprehension over the resumption directive announced by President Muhammadu Buhari, last week.

Some of the workers who spoke to Daily Sun, argued that government’s failure to put in place some strict measures before unlocking the economy may put manyworkers in harmsway.

Presidential Task Force on coronavirus(COVID-19), last Wednesday, said the nation’s economy will reopen in phases of two weeks each spanning a total of six weeks.

Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and the Chairman of the PTF on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, said the phased strategy was designed to reduce the pains of socio-economic disruptions that hit various sectors of the economy following the lockdown. He added that the period would allow for the strengthening of public health response, which would reduce economic recovery stress and provide succour to the people particularly the vulnerable.

Commenting on the workers’ concerns ahead of today’s easing, National President of the National Union of Shops and Distributive Employees (NUSDE), Mr. Innocent Jaja, said the failure to supply enough Personal Protective Equipment could put workers, patients, and communities at risk.

‘‘As workers resume today, we demand that workers are well protected through the provision of health and safety facilities and guidelines such as running water, soaps, hand sanitisers, use of protective masks and social distancing enforced at different workplaces.

In the same vein, President of the National Union of Food Beverage and Tobacco Employees (NUFBTE), Mr. Lateef Oyelekan, called on governments and employers in the private sector to throw in sufficient weight to reduce the burden of workers in the battle against COVID-19 by providing sufficient PPEs, functional wash rooms, suitable rest rooms and other facilities to make the work processes easier and safer for workers.

For his part, National President of the National Union of Banks Insurance and Financial Institutions Employees (NUBIFIE), Mr. Abakpa Anthony, corroborated the demands by NUSDE and NUFBTE, by calling on employers to make the protection of members of their staff a priority as work begins today.

Barely a month ago  a branch of a second generation bank on Victoria Island was shut down when one of its workers tested positive for coronavirus.

The development created serious panic in the banking industry as customers became apprehensive by avoiding banking halls in a bid to contain the spread of the dreaded virus.

Some workers who spoke to Daily Sun expressed fears on how commuting to and from work would be impacted as commercial buses may be a huge threat.

They complained that they may be compelled to drive in their private vehicles, which would increase their logistics cost to work, considering weekly fuelling cost which is far higher than what would be spent if they are to use commercial vehicles.

Others said social distancing inside commercial buses and at bus stops may be a near impossibility as Lagosians are always lawless and would not want to queue.

‘‘I pray the easing of this lockdown does not turn out counter-productive because the figures of recorded cases that we are  getting on a daily basis is not in anyway encouraging.’’

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) has cautioned its staff to ensure full compliance with the directives and safety guidelines issued by the Federal Government ahead of the easing of the COVID-19 lockdown today. Its managing director, Capt. Fola Akinkuotu, gave the advice in a statement issued on Sunday in Lagos.

Akinkuotu said the workers should adhere strictly to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on COVID-19 preventive measures, including social distancing, regular washing of and/ or sanitising of hands and wearing of face masks. – The Sun.

Previous Post

Nasarawa shuts down State Assembly as lawmaker dies of COVID-19

Next Post

Medical pros urge Buhari to re-impose Kano lockdown

Related Posts

BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy
Headlines

BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

August 19 2026
Pres. Tinubu presides over FEC meeting
Headlines

Pres. Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

August 19 2026
Defence Minister meets ex-servicemen, promises to address demands
Latest News

Defence Minister meets ex-servicemen, promises to address demands

August 19 2026
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students
Headlines

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026
Tinubu orders 24-hour aerial cordon on Kwara, Kebbi, Niger forests
Latest News

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara

August 18 2026
ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity
Headlines

ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity

August 18 2026
Next Post
Medical pros urge Buhari to re-impose Kano lockdown

Medical pros urge Buhari to re-impose Kano lockdown

FG links Kano mass deaths to COVID-19

FG links Kano mass deaths to COVID-19

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector

FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector

August 19 2026
APC imposes two-week deadline for presidential, guber, NASS forms

APC fixes August 22 for state, federal legislative primaries

August 19 2026
Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

August 19 2026
BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

August 19 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.