TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

2015 Gov primaries: No good luck for Jonathan’s ex-ministers

The Citizen by The Citizen
December 13 2014
in Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

Some former ministers’ hope of clinching the Peoples Democratic Party governorship tickets in their respective states was dashed last Monday,Fisayo Falodi reports

Expectation was high and hope rose on October 15, 2014 when seven ministers resigned from President Goodluck Jonathan’s cabinet to pursue their governorship ambitions.

They had told families and friends that the purpose of the resignation was to enable them to advance their political career by seeking the Peoples Democratic Party governorship tickets in their various states for next year’s general elections.

In their joyous mood and with their eyes fixed on the governorship tickets, they were bade farewell by President Goodluck Jonathan and other members of the cabinet.

At a valedictory session organised in honour of the former ministers, Jonathan had praised them for their meritorious service to the country. The President also wished them success in their political endeavours.

Though he had said that he was aware of the former ministers’ ambition, none of them sent in their resignation letters.

He had therefore directed them to send their resignation letters to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim.

Even the President gave the ex-ministers the grace to change their mind during the valedictory session, adding that such opportunity would not be given to them once they sent their resignation letters to the SGF Office.

Jonathan had said, “I want to make it very clear that as of this morning, about seven members of the Federal Executive Council may, and I use the word ‘may’ because you don’t conclude anything in politics. So, seven of us may not be here next Wednesday if their plans continue.

“But we may not say they are not with us until they write to us through the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

“As we are talking now, nobody has written and we have not dropped anybody, people should not say we have dropped ministers, no. We have not dropped any minister.

“They are still ministers of council but assuming between now and next council, if they decide to go on with their plans, it is only proper we wish them well, assuming we don’t see them again.

“But if they change their plans, they will continue to be with us but after receiving the letters and they change their minds, it will be too late.

“So, if they have to change their minds, they have to change their minds before sending the letter to the SGF.”

But the former ministers, who observers believe were probably carried away by their popularity as members of the Federal Executive Council and their closeness to Jonathan, ignored the President’s advice.

With the expectation that their popularity would contribute to the efforts that would sway voters in their favour during last Monday’s primaries, they thronged their various states to join the tray of other PDP governorship aspirants but they were shocked when they lost the bid to clinch the tickets.

Except a former Minister of State for Education, Mr. Nyesom Wike, who had been endorsed by the First Lady, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, as the next Rivers State governor even long before the December 8, 2014 primaries in many states of the federation, other former ministers such as Chief Emeka Wogu (Labour), Senator Musiliu Obanikoro (Defence), Labaran Maku, (Information) and Samuel Ortom (Industry, Trade and Investment) failed to realise their ambition of winning the party’s ticket.

Before Wike won the PDP governorship ticket, he had fought what could be described as a major battle to “eliminate” perceived obstacles on his way, one of which is alleged attempt by some stakeholders within the PDP to zone the Rivers State governorship position to either the Kalabari or Ogoni ethnic groups. But Wike, with the support of the First Lady, opposed the stakeholders’ decision.

There was the belief that the race for the PDP governorship seat would be a work-over for Maku in Nasarawa State because of his outspokenness. It was even rumoured before the primary that the ex-minister would emerge as the party’s consensus candidate.   But Maku was shocked when the electoral officer announced a little known Alhaji Yusuf Agabi, who polled 214 votes against the ex-minister’s 160 as the winner of the primary supervised by a former Senate President, Chief Adolphus Wabara.

According to some political observers, Maku may have lost the primary because he was not popular at home.

The observers believe that the few weeks the former minister spent in his home state after he resigned from Jonathan’s cabinet were not enough to create a formidable structure to realise his ambition.

Also, Wogu’s plan to succeed Abia State Governor Theodore Orji were dashed by a former General Manager of the state Passengers Integrated Manifest and Safety Scheme, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu, who polled 487 votes.

Wogu, who many people believe has the ability to mediate in dispute situation, came distant third with 33 votes in the primary in which no fewer than eight aspirants participated.

Wogu, like Maku, who observers believe his popularity does not go beyond Abuja, is little known politically in Abia State.

It was also learnt that Ikpeazu won the primary because he was Governor Orji’s favourite among the aspirants.

A school of thought is of the view that the former minister of Labour and Productivity lost the primary because stakeholders from the Ngwa political bloc were not in support of his ambition.

One of the stakeholders, who did not want his name mentioned, said the Ngwa political bloc, which is the most populous clan in Abia State, was more comfortable with Ikpeazu who the clan believed “is more accessible.”

In Lagos State, Obanikoro gave the governorship candidate of the defunct Democratic Peoples Alliance in the 2011 general elections, Mr. Jimi Agbaje, a good fight, but failed to clinch the PDP ticket.

The former minister, who many people had touted as the likely winner of the primary conducted at Yard 158 Event Centre, Oregun, Lagos, polled 346 against that of Agbaje’s 432.

According to observers, Obanikoro may have lost the primary to Agbaje who recently joined the PDP as a result of a long-drawn squabble between him and the party’s leader in Lagos State, Chief Bode George.

George and a former Minister of Works, Adeseye Ogunlewe, were said to be Agbaje’s major supporters.

Obanikoro, who addressed a press conference some minutes after the primary, blamed his defeat on George who he accused of using religious sentiment to advance the interest of another aspirant.

He had said, “The entire primary was a sham. I still cannot comprehend how accredited delegates of 806 will turn out to be 868. To be honest with you, with the benefit of hindsight, you can tell that the outcome was predetermined.

“The path of fraudulent electoral success is condemnable and we intend to fight this. There is an opportunity to appeal and I hope the party will do the right thing. Bode George has been the major problem as far as this party is concerned and there is no doubt in my mind that he supervised this electoral malpractice.

“How do you explain the panel chairman arriving in Lagos by 10am and not starting the election until about 5pm? There are many things that you can look at like the pronouncements made by George, Ogunlewe and others. One of the reasons the PDP has failed in Lagos is because the party is being led by the likes of George and Ogunlewe.”

But George denied manipulating the primary and described the former minister as a “rude boy” who lacked respect for elders.

According to him, Obanikoro is a violent person and the people of Lagos State cannot trust him with their votes.

The former Minister of State for Trade and Investment, Chief Samuel Ortom, lost the PDP primary to a former Speaker of the Benue State House of Assembly, Terhemen Tarzoor, who was said to be the anointed candidate of the state governor, Gabriel Suswam.

Ortom has the highest level of acceptability in the state among the 18 aspirants that initially stood for the primary, but at the Aper Aku stadium, venue of the event, 10 aspirants were cajoled to step down for the governor’s man who pulled the highest votes of 517 and was declared winner by the chairman of the governorship primary committee, Ambassador Saidu Daura, among the other eight participants.

It was, however, learnt that some stakeholders had tried to prevail on Suswam to support Ortom, but the governor refused to do their bidding having made up his mind to back Tarzoor.

But sources said Suswam deliberately worked against the emergence of Ortom because the governor was not comfortable with his political antecedents.

Like other ex-ministers, a former Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, also lost the battle to clinch the PDP governorship ticket in Ebonyi State as he was said to have boycotted the primary which produced the state deputy governor, Mr. Dave Umahi, as the winner.

Chukwu, according to some sources, boycotted the exercise.

Though ex-Minister of State for Niger Delta Affairs, Darius Ishaku, is popular in Taraba State, the primary failed to hold in the state.

Delegates and aspirants’ supporters were stranded at the Jolly Nyame Sports Complex in anticipation of the exercise.

They were, however, shocked when they learnt that the primary had been postponed.

In what looks like a form of educating the former minister in principle of democratic practice, however, the Deputy Majority Leader of the House of Representatives and PDP loyalist, Mr. Leo Ogor, asked them to accept their defeat in good faith.

Ogor, who spoke with Saturday PUNCH on the telephone, asked the defeated aspirants to support the winners in realising their ambitions since they (the winners) would still represent the PDP in the February 2015 general elections.

He said, “The ex-ministers are democrats and they should be seen as such by supporting the winners.

“They should accept the verdict of the majority and be good losers for the advancement of Nigeria’s democracy.

“It is also expected of them to put their defeat behind them and work for the collective interest of the party.”

Likewise, a former Minister of Transport, Chief Ebenezer Babatope, asked the losers of the governorship primaries to continue to maintain their loyalty to the party.

According to him, defection is not an option, but their decision to support the PDP to achieve robust success in the forthcoming poll.

“None of the ex-ministers defeated in last Monday’s PDP primary is defecting to other party. They have been assured that they would be carried along in the party’s activities,” Babatope said. Punch

Previous Post

Crisis looms in Onitsha market as trustees vow to halt govt’s caretaker system

Next Post

Over 50 ‘unnecessary’ aviation charges levied on passengers – Ministerial C’ttee

Related Posts

Headlines

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria
Headlines

BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria

May 18 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Oyo school attack: Senate, Yoruba leaders demand action as distress videos emerge

May 18 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Oyo abduction: Please come to our aid – Abducted school principal cries out from captivity

May 17 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

May 17 2026
Next Post

Over 50 'unnecessary' aviation charges levied on passengers – Ministerial C’ttee

B’Haram: External, internal sabotage frustrate our efforts – President Jonathan

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

May 19 2026

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.