No fewer than 15 people were killed and about 83 wounded in a Boko Haram attack in Maiduguri, a military spokesman Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu said on Monday.
The incident, he said, happened on Sunday night
“Fifteen persons including a soldier have so far been confirmed dead in the encounter, while about 83 persons who suffered varying degrees of injuries are receiving due medical attention,” Nawchukwu said.
He noted that 13 insurgents had been killed, including seven bombers, adding that the retreating militants attacked locals.
‘It is clear that the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists are hell-bent on remaining relevant by attacking soft and vulnerable targets,’ Nwachukwu added.
The military said troops clashed with the jihadists in a cashew plantation around Bille Shuwa and Alikaranti villages, near Giwa barracks on the edge of Maiduguri’s inner city, at around 08:10 pm (1910 GMT) on Sunday.
They fought gun battles with government troops during which multiple blasts were heard.