TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

DSS begins probe of military contracts, arms deal

meira by meira
August 16 2015
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Department of State Security Service (DSS) has started probing contracts awarded by the military and other security agencies.

The probe includes arms procurement in the past few years.

It was also learnt that some contractors were detained by the military for about 24 to 48 hours for quizzing.

The names of the contractors were however kept under wraps as at the time of filing this report.

But the affected contractors were released after making relevant documents available to the security agency.

According to investigation by our correspondent, the ongoing findings border on four pegs including:

*alleged extra-budgetary spending on military hardware and the sources of funding;

*what became of the $1billion approved for arms purchase by the National Assembly;

*the sources of the $15million seized by South Africa

*why the military budget had declined in the last five years or whether or not the military budget had been diverted to other use; and

*likely cases of mismanagement.

It was gathered that the presidency was disturbed that some of the immediate past Service Chiefs had complained of lack of equipment contrary to the records available to the government.

Although the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Mr. Sambo Dasuki, had clarified that enough modern arms and ammunition, the government has set out to find out how much was spent on arms, the actual Defence budget, what was released and spent.

A reliable source, who spoke in confidence, said: “The DSS has launched a discreet probe into award of contracts, procurement and extra-budgetary votes by the military and security agencies in the past five years.

“Some contractors were detained and grilled for about 24 to 36 hours before they were released to their lawyers. Some of the contractors will still be re-invited as the probe progresses.

“Where contracts were duly awarded, the DSS only screened the process and confirmed execution. Some procurements were also verified.

“The job is however easier in some cases because one of the present Service Chiefs was in charge of procurement in his service.”

One of the affected contractors confirmed invitation by DSS to our correspondent.

The contractor said: “I was asked to present my contract papers, due process approval and the execution. They were civil because after presenting all the details, I was left off the hook after 24 hours.

“This is why it is not good to cut corners in any business one is doing.”

It was however learnt that the DSS will look find out whether or not the $1billion external loan sought by the administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan was approved.

The 7th Senate had on September 25 approved President Goodluck Jonathan’s request to borrow a $1bn external loan to buy arms and hardware fight insurgency in the country.

The source added: “The ongoing investigation will help to find out if the loan was fully accessed or not, what it was spent on and what gaps to be filled.

“It is not a witch-hunt but if you go through the report of the Transition Committee of Jonathan, there were so many gaps to fill.

“There were allegations of underfunding, short-changing of military  budget, extra-budgetary spending, and unnecessary debts.

“We also got reports that some military equipment ordered from abroad are still being expected.

“There is need to reconcile all these records. If there are infractions, those concerned will be prosecuted.

“In all, the report of the Ministry of Defence was not at par with the votes spent on the arms in the Armed Forces and security agencies.

In a report to the Federal Government Transition Committee, headed by ex-Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Ministry of Defence said the defence budget has declined under the administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.

Out of N445.309billion voted for the ministry in five years, about N273.831billion was actually released.

The withheld amount was about N171.478billion.

Also, the ministry had an outstanding liability of N26,830,532,161.24 including N2,618,509,462.05 and $20,962.96 incurred on capital and overhead expenditures and excess commitment of N24,212,022,699.19 on Peace Support operations

The  breakdown of the report shows that the Federal Government budgeted N445.309billion  for the Ministry of Defence between 2011 and 2015 as follows N213.122billion (capital) and overhead (N232.187billion).

Out of the N213.122billion capital votes, only N110.916 billion was released.

Concerning the recurrent budget, out of N232.187billion, about N162.915billion was released

The report said in part: “There has been consistent decline in both Capital and Overhead allocations to the Defence Sector in the past five years (2011-2015) as shown in the table below. In spite of the limited funds the responsibilities of both the Ministry and its agencies are increasing on a daily basis. Mostly with the level of insecurity arising from insurgency in the North-East, Niger Delta and other flash points in the country.

“Follow the inadequacy of regular funding for Peace Support Operations (PSOs), N35,000,000,000.00 (thirty five billion naira only) Bond was raised at 9.75% per annum in 2008 to equip Nigerian troops engaged in various UN missions.

“The equipment procured were delivered at the Nigerian Arm Ordinance Depot, Lagos for onward deployment to mission areas under the supervision of the Defence Headquarters. However, it should be noted that Contingent Owned Equipment (COE) attracts reimbursements from the United Nations Peace keeping which account is domiciled with CBN UN Account General of the Federation and utilized for the repayment of the Bond. So far, the sum of N27.3 billion has been repaid for the loan taken.

“However, following a request by the ministry to Mr. President for the transfer of control/management of the Armed Forces Peace Keeping reimbursement account from Nigeria Permanent Mission in the UN to the Defence Section in New York from where the funds will be remitted into the MOD account, the request was graciously approved and it is expected that with the transfer, funds would be easily accessed and utilized more judiciously for the maintenance and upgrade of the equipment.

“The  repayment schedule due to non-regular remittance of funds from the Defence Section in New York to the ministry, which therefore affected the loan payment which hitherto was to be fully paid in June, 2015 but will now be paid on a quarterly sum of N1,284,122,196.23  with effect from 30th June, 2015 to 30th September, 2017

“The Ministry has an outstanding liability of N26, 830,532,161.24 and $20,962.96. This is made up of N2,618,509,462.05 and $20,962.96 incurred on capital and overhead expenditures and excess commitment of N24,212,022,699.19 on Peace Support operations (i.e. N11,370,800,729.85 for UNAMID  and N1,246,102,623.11 for Guinea Bissau) and DMO debt of N12,841,221,969.34.” The Nation

Previous Post

Ebonyi: Umahi to appoint caretaker committees for LGAs, development centres soon

Next Post

Why we didn’t return Umaru Dikko’s loot — UK

Related Posts

Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Oyo abduction: Please come to our aid – Abducted school principal cries out from captivity

May 17 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

May 17 2026
Police beef up security in Katsina schools
Headlines

Senate vows to fast-track state police after 87 abductions in Borno, Oyo

May 17 2026
Presidency welcomes Jonathan to 2027 race
Latest News

Insecurity: Nigerians have accepted killings as normal, says Jonathan

May 16 2026
Tinubu confirms killing of ISIS leader in Nigeria-US joint operation
Headlines

Tinubu confirms killing of ISIS leader in Nigeria-US joint operation

May 16 2026
Wike endorses moves to impeach Fubara
Latest News

APC disqualifies four Fubara loyalists, clears 21 for Rivers Reps primaries

May 15 2026
Next Post

Why we didn’t return Umaru Dikko’s loot — UK

N78.3m website: CACOL replies Fashola, insists on allegation, says ‘We don’t mind wrestling with the pig as long as it produces the pork’

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

FirstBank confirms appointment of Olayinka Ijabiyi as Group Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications

FirstBank confirms appointment of Olayinka Ijabiyi as Group Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications

by The Editor
May 1 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Gombe magistrate lands in jail for bribery

Gombe magistrate lands in jail for bribery

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

France to raise tuition fees for non-EU students

France to raise tuition fees for non-EU students

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Davido backs Adeleke’s re-election, joins campaign mobilisation in Osun

Otti pledges to keep security as top priority in Abia

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

May 17 2026
Akume’s wife, Mark’s daughter pick Benue APC Reps tickets

Akume’s wife, Mark’s daughter pick Benue APC Reps tickets

May 17 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

Oyo abduction: Please come to our aid – Abducted school principal cries out from captivity

May 17 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

May 17 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Outrageous extrajudicial Delta police killing – Punch

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.