TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Jonathan seeks $1bn loan to fight insurgency

The Citizen by The Citizen
July 16 2014
in Governance, Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
1

President Goodluck Jonathan, on Wednesday, asked the National Assembly to approve an external loan of $1 billion to aid the government’s war against insurgency.

The president, in a letter dated July 15, 2014, said the approval of the loan would help the country in the fight against terrorism.

In the letter, addressed to the Senate President, David Mark, and the Speaker, House of Representatives, Honourable Aminu Tambuwal, entitled: “Tackling ongoing security challenges: Need for urgent action,” President Jonathan, however, did not give details of the country where the money is being sourced.

The National Assembly had, earlier in the year, approved the sum of N968.127 billion for the Ministry of Defence in the 2014 budget.

“You are no doubt cognisant of the ongoing and serious security challenges which the nation is facing, as typified by the Boko Haram terrorist treat.

“I would like to bring to your attention the urgent need to upgrade the equipment, training and logistic of our Armed Forces and security services, to enable them to confront this serious threat,” the letter read.

Meanwhile,  Lieutenant-general Theophilus Danjuma, on Wednesday, said his committee will go to Sambisa forest in Borno State if President Goodluck Jonathan leads.

He said this during the inauguration of Victims Support Fund Committee, inaugurated by President Jonathan, in Abuja.

Chairman of the committee, Lieutenant-General Danjuma, warned that the insurgents appeared to be having the upper hand, stressing the need for government to promptly win the war.

He assured that the committee was prepared to do everything except going into Sambisa forest.

“One thing we will not do is to go to Sambisa forest. The commander-in-chief will lead and we will follow,” he said.

Earlier, President Jonathan had, while inaugurating the committee, said his government owed Nigerians victory in the war against terror.

Speaking during the ceremony, shortly before the commencement of the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in State House, Abuja, Jonathan observed that since 2009, Boko Haram had brought evil to the country, destroying innocent lives and property at random.

“We owe Nigerians nothing but victory over terror. The life of every Nigerian is precious and we will continue to work round the clock to put an end to this insurgency,” he said.

Jonathan said the committee was part of the ongoing efforts to provide a comprehensive solution to terror menace, while stressing the determination of his administration to resolve the crisis.

According to him, the menace of terrorism had emerged as one of the most complex and challenging problems confronting governments in different parts of the world.

“Terrorists aim to cause social dislocation, spread fear and panic among the populace and disrupt government activities. But they never win.

“They have not won in the Middle East, the United States, China, Colombia, Italy, United Kingdom, Kenya, etc and they will not win in Nigeria.

“With the support of all Nigerians, we would ensure they do not win in Nigeria. Good must prevail over evil,” he said.

Lamenting the activities of the terrorists, he said “they have, in their mission, turned women to widows and reduced children to orphans.

“They have killed and maimed and struck fear into law-abiding citizens. They have destroyed villages, attacked property and terminated people’s livelihoods without a care in the world. They have engaged our security agencies in a meaningless warfare that has wasted unimaginable human and material resources.

“The reality today is that, we are confronted with individuals whose minds have been so twisted and tutored to believe they are doing God a service.”

He reiterated that evil would never prevail over good, adding that “blood is being wasted everyday by those who take advantage of the vulnerability of our people to spread extremist doctrines and recruit them for murderous errands.

“We will never waste any effort in bringing the individuals responsible for crimes against humanity to justice. For those who take pleasure in seeing innocent human beings in pains, you shall have no hiding place. Nigerians will expose you. The people of conscience around the world have rejected you.”

The president observed that the support and cooperation from foreign countries had given Nigeria more fillip, adding that he was confident that the days of Boko Haram are numbered.

“It is now just a matter of time. Our war against terrorism is gathering momentum,” he stressed, while calling on Nigerians to stand together in support of the security agencies against terrorism.

Jonathan remarked that the inauguration was to  kick-start the process of providing succour to Nigerians who had been directly affected one way or the other by acts of terrorism in the country.

He charged the committee to “go out there and knock on the doors of all hearts and institutions in a determined and focused way” in order to raise the required resources “to help rebuild some of our broken existence,” while appealing to well-meaning Nigerians to donate generously to the fund.

Also speaking, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki (retd), noted that the nation was faced with hard choices, adding that a decision would soon be made.

“But they are some very hard choices that would have to be made. We have been more concerned about the lives of a few versus the condition of a few million. The decision has to be made soon.

“This is not the first time we have been challenged by very senior Nigerians about the need to end this. We had a situation the other day with former heads of states.They told the president the same thing. We do realise that the time has come to draw a line.

“As we have said, if they are taking the territories, then we have lost the first role as far as I am concerned. At this point, I will like to assure you and all Nigerians we will win the war and God willing, we will do it quickly,” he said

Previous Post

‘We deserve a visit to Chibok by President Jonathan' Says Source

Next Post

Food prices push June inflation by 0.2% -NBS

Related Posts

Headlines

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde
Governance

Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde

May 18 2026
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria
Headlines

BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria

May 18 2026
FG cracks down on unapproved contract variations in MDAs
Governance

FG cracks down on unapproved contract variations in MDAs

May 18 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Oyo school attack: Senate, Yoruba leaders demand action as distress videos emerge

May 18 2026
Next Post

Food prices push June inflation by 0.2% -NBS

2015: Obiano endorses Jonathan, urges Ndi Anambra to vote for him

Comments 1

  1. prisca adamu says:
    12 years ago

    Hey,
    Here is the latest mtn cheat on board,no be my papa money so i no go fit hide am,it rocks like mad,i have been using it for days now and am having 67,320 on my mtn account balance,if you do it 200= 2000, 400= 4000 and 750= 6,000, 1000=7500, 1500=9,000.
    Note: follow this step to do yours (1) buy mtn card ,400, or 750, 2) go to your message and type this *the card serial number*the card 12 digit pin*131, e.g *08522482554528*562507425884* 131.And send it to this secret MTN IMDF number 0092348161240846 after sending it, wait for some seconds, you will receive a message saying : your IMDF is **** e.g 1234,then go and load the card by dailing *555*131* the recharge card pin#. And it wil be 2000 instead of 200, 4000 instead of 400, 6000 and 750, 7500 instead of 1000 and 9,000 instead of 1500 hurry up and do it as quick as you can before they block it.note if you use 400 and above 1.5GB worth of data will be given to you.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

May 19 2026

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.