TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

NDA attack: Kaduna, Borno barracks, others remain porous – Report

The Citizen by The Citizen
August 29 2021
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
NDA attack: Kaduna, Borno barracks, others remain porous – Report

Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor; Nigeria Defence Academy

In spite of the recent invasion of the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) at Afaka, Kaduna State, there is relatively easy access for visitors into military formations in the state through various alternative routes.

Kaduna State has one of the highest military formations in the country.

Gunmen had attacked the Afaka campus of the NDA – Nigeria’ foremost military university – last Tuesday, killing two officers and abducting one Major Christopher Datung.

Another officer was hospitalised within the institution as a result of gunshot wounds.

The bandits had reportedly reached out to the military, demanding N200m ransom for the release of the abducted officer.

In a statement on Wednesday by Director, Defence Information, Major General Benjamin Sawyerr, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) said it had constituted a board of enquiry on the invasion.

The military said it had started compiling the names of errant personnel to be court-martialed while efforts were ongoing to rescue Datung.

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, had also visited the NDA on Wednesday, saying “this madness must stop.”

Following the Tuesday attack, many Nigerians had taken to social media to express anger over affront by bandits, who have become emboldened having shut down a Nigerian Air Force jet earlier in July.

The military has a heavy presence in Kaduna with no fewer than six military formations in the city. The military formations include Jaji Military Cantonment; 1 Mech. Division Headquarters, Nigerian Army, Kaduna; New Barracks, otherwise known as ‘Kotoko’ Barracks; Old Site of the Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna; Kalanpazi Barracks (Artillery Regiment) and the Nigerian Air Force Base.

One of our correspondents, who visited some of the military formations on Friday, observed that apart from their main entrances, other routes leading to the facilities were relatively porous.

At the Jaji Military Cantonment, located between Zaria and Kaduna town, in the Igabi Local Government Area of the state, vehicles were subjected to careful scrutiny before being allowed access through the main entrance.

However, the unfenced back of the cantonment appeared vulnerable as people gained entry with little or no check by military men.

At the 1 Mech. Division Headquarters, Nigerian Army, there were routine security checks at the entrance, despite the ongoing massive road construction work.

Security was tight at the main entrance of 1 Div House, one of the oldest barracks in the state, housing the Dalet Barracks, where the Central Ammunition Depot is located; but visitors could access the barracks through the Mammy Market and Ugwan Gwari axis.

Similarly, at the ‘New Barracks’, better known as ‘Kotoko barracks, soldiers manned the pedestrian gate opposite the Federal Secretariat, Kawo, in the Kaduna North Local Government Area.

However, one of our correspondents discovered that the barracks, housing many military formations as well as schools, could be easily accessed from the host community, Hayin Banking, as well as via the Nnamdi Azikiwe Western Expressway by the new Panteka spare market.

This barracks also extended to the Old Site of the Nigerian Defence Academy, now being used for the training of the Direct Short Service Course officer, officials of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission as well as the NDA Post Graduate School.

At the main gate of the NDA Old Site from the Ungwan Sanu axis, security checks were thorough as soldiers checked visitors and residents before allowing them to enter the facility also Known as ‘Ribadu Cantonment.’

But it was noticed that the barracks was accessible through the host communities – Ungwan Shanu and Kurmin- Mashi.

Also, at the 44 Army Reference Hospital, opposite the Sir Kashim Ibrahim Government House, in the heart of the city, fierce-looking soldiers were sighted at both gates to the hospital and the barracks carrying out stop and search of vehicles.

The barracks, though fenced, was porous and could be accessed through the host Badiko community.

As usual, at the Kalanpazi Barracks, where the Artillery Regiment is located, there was a sentry directly opposite the Major Kachia Road near the St. Gerard Catholic Hospital, Kakuri, Kaduna. Soldiers manned the main gate, checking vehicles into the formation.

Although the permanent site of the NDA was attacked on Tuesday, there was nothing unusual about the security at the gate leading into the expansive land the academy occupies.

There are two gates into the institution –  one opposite the old camp of the Sterling Construction Company while the other is directly on the road leading to the Kaduna International Airport.

Anyone passing through the first gate was requested to produce identification cards before being allowed into the institution.

The other gate had been shut down following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.

Similarly, at the Nigerian Air Force Base, along the Mandi Road, Kaduna, there were thorough security checks at the main entrance into the Air Force base established in 2012 at the height of the Boko Haram bombing of military formations in the country.

The NAF Base is home to the Group Training Command of the Nigerian Air Force where airmen and women across the country are trained. It is also home to pilot training school as well as the Nigerian Air Force Institute of Technology.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army in Maiduguri, Borno State, has intensified security checks at the Maimalari Barracks, Giwa Detention Centre and the Garrison Command in the state capital, since the invasion of the NDA in Kaduna.

During a visit to the barracks by one of our correspondents, it was observed that the soldiers at the gate and checkpoints had intensified the routine stop-and-search of persons and vehicles coming into the barracks as against the usual way of identifying the visitors and registering their names on the army register stationed at the entrance.

It was observed that several visitors were turned back at the gate because the personnel were not convinced with their explanations.

However, on Friday, during Juma’at service, the mosque in the Maimalari Barracks was, as usual, opened to all worshippers coming to pray from outside the barracks.

The worshippers were allowed into the barracks without any restriction and were not subjected to search they would have gone through on other days.

One of the worshippers, a soldier at the Maimalari Barracks, said, “Some of the worshippers coming from outside are either retired soldiers or members of their families who have been worshipping in the barracks since they were in active service. So it will be difficult to deny them access to the prayer ground on the excuse of a security check.”

Another soldier said if they stopped outsiders or civilian worshippers from accessing the mosque, it means even Sunday worship would be closed for the Christian faithful.

He noted, “Remember that in the barracks, the juma’at mosque is conducted at two o’clock so many worshippers who missed the Juma’at prayer in town always rush to the barracks to observe their juma’at prayer. So, if they are stopped from entering the barracks, they will be denied their right to worship which is bad.”

A retired captain, Bishop Johnson (retd.), said he was not surprised that the military had not learnt from the attack, noting that it was in the attitude of the country not to learn from previous mistakes.

He said in view of the attack on the NDA, the academy and other military formations were supposed to have increased alertness by ensuring that there were improved security measures.

Johnson stated, “I am not surprised that even after the attack nothing serious has happened, because we live in a country where they don’t learn from their experiences. One would have thought that after the Chibok girls incident, a lot of lessons should have been learnt like it is done in other countries. Mistakes are taken and corrections put in place so that a similar occurrence does not happen in the future, but we didn’t do that.”

The National President of Criminology and Security Practitioners Association of Nigeria, Williams Ekposon, advised the military to put in place strategic measures in all its formations to forestall a recurrence of the NDA invasion.

He stated, “What happened (at NDA) was a mere conspiracy story. There is a political undertone to the security breach. There is a mole within the intelligence. When we talk of war, it is in three different stages – strategic, operational and tactical stages.

“What we are experiencing now falls into the strategic stage where things are not properly handled. So, strategic policies have to be implemented accordingly in order to forestall a recurrence.”

Another security expert, Hassan Stan-Labo,  said with the current development, he would recommend a general review of the current security architecture of military installations to ascertain a state of resilience to imminent threat. – Punch.

Previous Post

Why Nigerians go to bed hungry – Agric Minister

Next Post

Channels TV interview: We only invited Kunle Olawunmi for tips on counter-terrorism – DHQ

Related Posts

Rivers State: I have no links to militants, says Fubara
Headlines

BREAKING: Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

May 20 2026
Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch
Latest News

Kidnappers abduct two Cocoa Institute workers in Oyo, police arrest two

May 20 2026
NDC clears Peter Obi for presidential primary
Headlines

NDC clears Peter Obi for presidential primary

May 20 2026
Arsenal win Premier League title after Man City draw
Latest News

Arsenal win Premier League title after Man City draw

May 19 2026
Headlines

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City
Latest News

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
Next Post
Terror sponsors turning Nigeria into Taliban country, says ex-naval chief

Channels TV interview: We only invited Kunle Olawunmi for tips on counter-terrorism - DHQ

Ogun State Assembly prescribes 3-year jail term for herdsmen violating grazing law

Divided actions threaten Southern governors’ open grazing ban

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
World Cup hotels empty after FIFA cancels 70% reservations

World Cup hotels empty after FIFA cancels 70% reservations

May 20 2026
Femi Otedola denies funding Dangote Refinery

Otedola to invest $100m in Dangote Refinery

May 20 2026
Aston Villa beat Freiburg 3–0 to win Europa League final

Aston Villa beat Freiburg 3–0 to win Europa League final

May 20 2026
Rivers State: I have no links to militants, says Fubara

BREAKING: Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

May 20 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.