Abuja building collapse: Osinbajo visits as two die, 15 remain under rubble

A four-storey building in Jabi, Abuja, collapsed on Friday killing two people and injuring three others.

Not less than 15 people were also said to be trapped under the debris when the building under construction collapsed on the workers and food sellers.

It was gathered the building had been abandoned for over 15 years by the owner who recently mobilised workers to continue the construction of the structure.

Officials of the Federal Capital Territory Development Authority have arrived at the scene to commence the rescue of the trapped victims.

Meanwhile, the Acting President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, on Friday visited the site of the collapsed building.

Professor Osinbajo said he was satisfied with rescue efforts and the emergency response to the incident.

He also wished those injured in the incident quick recovery.

He described the accident as unfortunate and assured that all the relevant public agencies will ensure that rescue operations are effectively carried out.

“The collapse of this building is a very unfortunate incident. As you know, it was a building under construction. It appears to have collapsed a few hours ago.

“The most important thing at the moment is that we have all of the relief, safety and emergency management agencies all here. NEMA is here, the FCT authorities are here, the Hon. Minister himself is here, the executive government is here.

“So, the whole process of ensuring that those who may be trapped under this collapsed building are rescued is well underway. All of the emergency equipment, help movers and the equipment that are required, are here,” the acting President said.

Osinbajo after the visit commiserated with relatives of those who may have died and those injured. He also hoped that who may still be trapped under the building would be rescued.

He said, “there is enough for us to expect that they should at least be able to rescue anyone who may still be trapped in this building. I am quite satisfied so far with the level of the activities to ensure that this very unfortunate incident is not made worse by any loss of lives.”

The Acting President was accompanied to the site by the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Bello, and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Boss Mustapha.

0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

x

Check Also

Enugu CJ hails Ugwuanyi on new court buildings

…as governor presents 25 generators for Judges’ residences The Chief Judge of Enugu State, Hon. ...