TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Repentant Boko Haram members invade police station to set free colleagues

The Editor by The Editor
May 3 2024
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
Repentant Boko Haram members invade police station to set free colleagues
22
SHARES
734
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Some repentant Boko Haram insurgents Tuesday night invaded a police station in Maiduguri in an attempt to set free their colleagues that were arrested earlier over alleged drug offences, witnesses told the Daily Trust on Thursday.

However, Police Public Relations Officer in Borno State, Kenneth Daso, who confirmed that there was an incident at the police station, said the assailants were repelled by officers on duty.

Daso said the security breach was heralded by an operation carried out by the police.

He said, “On the 30/04/24 at about 1745hrs in a joint operation raid at the Kasuwar Fara, following an intelligence report that some drug peddlers, smokers, repentant and Boko Haram insurgents are indulging in nefarious activities, eight persons were arrested including seven male and a female in that operation with 476grams of illicit substances.

“As you know, such activities have been banned in the area by the state government since last year.

“Few hours after the arrest, some unscrupulous persons, so-called repentant Boko Haram, dressed up in military attire tried to invade our police station at Ibrahim Taiwo but were repelled immediately.

“Thereafter, they went and attacked Nigeria Immigration Service and NDLEA check points after the welcome to the township gate and they burnt it down,” he said.

ASP Kenneth said a serious investigation is currently ongoing to unravel those who were behind the acts.

However, some eyewitnesses told one of our correspondents that the attackers, dressed in military camouflage and wielding cutlasses, forcefully gained access into the police station and whisked away some suspects.

“About 20 of the attackers forced their way into the police station and escaped with some of the detained members.

“They left some policemen on duty wounded; they also went on rampage attacking passers-by with cutlasses, before reinforcements by the CRACKS team arrived,” he said.

Another witness said the police operatives in the station did their best to repel the attackers but were subdued.

“Some of the police operatives took to their heels but returned when reinforcements came. We were told that the actual suspects could not be freed, only some people at the counter escaped.

“It was a sad incident,” he said.

Residents in the area said they were scared by the development, saying the incident was a clear indication that Maiduguri is no longer safe.

Fanta Modu, who owns a restaurant around the area, urged the government to reconsider its approach to issues around the de-radicalisation exercise of the federal government.

“I was relatively young when followers of Mohammed Yusuf (Boko Haram founder) launched simultaneous attacks on Maiduguri in 2009. They also attacked the police headquarters at that time.

“Honestly, the recent event reminds me of that terrible incident. I am of the view that the so-called repentant Boko Haram members have not fully repented. They are not well refined because if they have been fully reintegrated into the society, why would they go back to drugs to the extent that they had the audacity to attack security posts?” she asked.

Contacted last night, Abdulrahman Bundi, who is one of the spokespersons for Governor Babagana Zulum, said they were yet to be briefed on the matter and therefore, could not comment on it.

“I just read it on social media. There is no enough information but I assure you that the government will comment on the matter after we get the correct information on what transpired,” he said.

On March 5, 2021, Governor Zulum said the de-radicalisation of repentant Boko Haram members “is not working.”

Zulum, who spoke at the North-East Governors’ Forum meeting in Bauchi, said that the initiative needed to be reviewed because some of the ex-Boko Haram members only come to spy on communities and then return to join the group.

“It has been confirmed that the concept of de-radicalisation or Safe Corridor is not working as expected. Quite often, those who have passed through the Safe Corridor initiative, or have been de-radicalised, usually go back and re-join the terror group after carefully studying the various security arrangements in their host communities, during the reintegration process.

“So the idea of de-radicalisation, as currently being implemented, needs to be reviewed because the main goals and the underlying objectives behind the initiative are not being achieved,” he said.

The governor advised at the time that the best option is to immediately prosecute the insurgents in accordance with the Terrorism Act.

However, at a recent event, the Borno State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Hajiya Zuwaira Gambo, said that only about 5,000 out of the over 100,000 repentant Boko Haram members were actual insurgents.

Zuwaira disclosed this while presenting a paper titled ‘Borno Model’ at an event to commemorate the 2023 International Day of Peace, organised by an NGO, Peace Ambassador for Humanitarian Aid and Empowerment (PACHE).

She said: “Contrary to fears by the public that 100,000 were insurgents, only about 5,000 are actual fighters. Most of the others are farmers, women and children held hostage by the insurgents.

“Many of them are victims being held by the insurgents,” she said.

She said that those being de-radicalised and reintegrated back to their communities did not include the insurgents.

“We do not release the insurgents. We have records of the whereabouts of any person released,” she said.

On January 24, 2024, the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa, said that 1,935 Boko Haram terrorists were released back to the communities from the Bulumkutu camp in Maiduguri, Borno State in six years.

He said the insurgents were released between 2016 and 2022.

Musa, who was represented by the Director of Training, Defence Headquarters, Rear Adm. Daupreye Matthew, said this while delivering a lecture at the opening of the National Security Course on `Psychological Operations and Strategic Communication’ in Abuja.

“Also, 1,543 repentant terrorists graduated from Mallam Sidi Camp in Gombe State between 2016 and 2022.

“From July 2021 to May 4, 2022, alone, no fewer than 51,828 terrorists and their family members surrendered, out of which 13,360 were fighters,” the CDS had said.

Musa, however, said the military had up-scaled the use of hard and soft power in counter-insurgency operations to contain the emerging and changing nature of adversaries.

He said, “The use of non-kinetic efforts under Operation Safe Corridor led to the surrender of more than 2,000 Boko Haram members between 2016 and 2017. 67 per cent of those who surrendered were of the Abubakar Shekau faction of the insurgents.

“So far, 106,000 terrorists and their family members have surrendered in the North East.” – Daily Trust.

Share9Tweet6
Previous Post

Bandits kill 17, abduct 5 in Kaduna, Sokoto communities

Next Post

Nigerian Prof Rose-Margaret Ekeng-Itua emerges world’s first black woman Ph.D holder in Cybernetics

Related Posts

Police repel Lakurawa attack in Kebbi
Headlines

INEC to unveil new timetable for 2027 elections

February 22 2026
Police repel Lakurawa attack in Kebbi
Latest News

Police repel Lakurawa attack in Kebbi

February 21 2026
Bandits attack Zamfara community, kill eleven
Headlines

Bandits attack Zamfara community, kill eleven

February 21 2026
2027: PDP fights for survival amid ADC, APC pressure
Headlines

ADC in early lead in Kubwa, Bwari Area Council polling units

February 21 2026
Police arrest suspect after two die on Lagos film set
Latest News

Police arrest suspect after two die on Lagos film set

February 17 2026
Reps to hold emergency session Monday
Headlines

Emergency plenary: National Assembly moves to shift presidential poll to Feb13

February 16 2026
Next Post
Nigerian Prof Rose-Margaret Ekeng-Itua emerges world’s first black woman Ph.D holder in Cybernetics

Nigerian Prof Rose-Margaret Ekeng-Itua emerges world’s first black woman Ph.D holder in Cybernetics

Tinubu embarks on fresh overseas trips

Lagos-Calabar Highway red flag, Tinubu’s personal business – Atiku

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Ogun State refutes Prince Kuye’s endorsement as Awujale of Ijebuland

Ogun State refutes Prince Kuye’s endorsement as Awujale of Ijebuland

by The Editor
February 22 2026
0

...

Umahi’s son Osborne, picks LG chairmanship form in Ebonyi

Umahi’s son Osborne, picks LG chairmanship form in Ebonyi

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

Ogun State cancels Awujale selection process

Ogun State cancels Awujale selection process

by The Editor
December 18 2025
0

...

60 princes vie for Awujale stool as Ogun govt reviews selection process

60 princes vie for Awujale stool as Ogun govt reviews selection process

by The Editor
December 16 2025
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu confers GCON on business associate, Chagoury

Tinubu confers GCON on business associate, Chagoury

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

FG targets Dana Air assets to refund trapped passenger funds

FG reshuffles NCAA directors amid corruption allegations

by The Editor
December 26 2025
0

...

Senate screens Tinubu’s nominees for NMDPRA, NUPRC

Senate screens Tinubu’s nominees for NMDPRA, NUPRC

by The Editor
December 18 2025
0

...

Govt launches power outage reporting app

Pres. Tinubu reconstitutes NERC board

by The Editor
December 18 2025
0

...

ODDITIES

Nigerian nurse loses licence for sleeping during shift in Australia

Nigerian nurse loses licence for sleeping during shift in Australia

by The Editor
January 24 2026
0

Woman battling cancer seeks second wife for sex-starved husband

Woman battling cancer seeks second wife for sex-starved husband

by The Editor
December 27 2025
0

Man kills cousin over ₦1,000 burial refund in Delta State

Man kills cousin over ₦1,000 burial refund in Delta State

by The Editor
December 22 2025
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Russian spy agency takes over Wagner operations in Africa

Russian spy agency takes over Wagner operations in Africa

by The Editor
February 21 2026
0

...

Trump rules out contesting for vice president to stay in power after 2028

Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%

by The Editor
February 21 2026
0

...

Gabonese Presidency defends social media shutdown

Gabonese Presidency defends social media shutdown

by The Editor
February 21 2026
0

...

Iran vows resistance amid US nuclear talks

Iran vows resistance amid US nuclear talks

by The Editor
February 21 2026
0

...

Trump imposes new 10% global tariff

Trump imposes new 10% global tariff

by The Editor
February 20 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

Gov. Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

by The Editor
February 21 2026
0

...

Ogun: Royal houses reject candidate for new Olowu

Residents protest as bandits attack Ondo community, abduct couple

by The Editor
February 21 2026
0

...

Labour leaders hail Gov. Mbah after consultative meeting as new welfare packages excite workers

Labour leaders hail Gov. Mbah after consultative meeting as new welfare packages excite workers

by The Editor
February 18 2026
0

...

Sanwo-Olu signs 2026 Lagos budget into law

Sanwo-Olu signs 2026 Lagos budget into law

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Enyimba, Rivers Utd clash in heavyweight battle

Enyimba, Rivers Utd clash in heavyweight battle

February 22 2026
Police repel Lakurawa attack in Kebbi

INEC to unveil new timetable for 2027 elections

February 22 2026
Ogun State refutes Prince Kuye’s endorsement as Awujale of Ijebuland

Ogun State refutes Prince Kuye’s endorsement as Awujale of Ijebuland

February 22 2026
Zimbabwe launches groundbreaking HIV prevention drug

Zimbabwe launches groundbreaking HIV prevention drug

February 22 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Escaping Nigeria’s looming debt trap – Punch

Escaping Nigeria’s looming debt trap – Punch

by The Editor
February 20 2026
0

Tinubu denies Christian, Muslim genocide in Nigeria

Pay local contractors – Punch

by The Editor
February 4 2026
0

Drug tests for public office aspirants, a must – Punch

Drug tests for public office aspirants, a must – Punch

by The Editor
January 9 2026
0

Economy in 2026: From risk to recovery – Punch

Economy in 2026: From risk to recovery – Punch

by The Editor
January 2 2026
0

FG launches digital platform to transition to paperless operation

LGs: Executive Order opposes federalism – Punch

by The Editor
December 30 2025
0

Opinion

SEC explains licence grant to two crypto exchanges in Nigeria

New cryptocurrency tax regime in Nigeria

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

Air Peace pledges free evacuation, medicals for trafficked Nigerian girls in Ivory Coast

No, Nigerian airfares are not the cheapest

by The Editor
December 29 2025
0

...

Tax document fraud: Governance and trust deficit

Tax document fraud: Governance and trust deficit

by The Editor
December 22 2025
0

...

Peter Mbah’s visionary leadership and the rebirth of security in Enugu State

Peter Mbah’s visionary leadership and the rebirth of security in Enugu State

by The Editor
December 8 2025
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.