TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Civil servants and employment racketeering – National Mirror

The Citizen by The Citizen
February 5 2016
in Public Affairs, Uncategorized
A A
0

It does seem employment racketeering has become a lucrative pastime for some corrupt top brass in the nation’s civil service system, most times in collusion with scammers and fake job consultants.
Gone were the days when only rogue job syndicates defrauded and ridiculed job hunters. For, quite common in recent years are reports of the fleecing or outright duping of applicants seeking placement in the civil service before or during interviews.

Not surprising, therefore, is the recent report that some top civil servants were dismissed by the Federal Government for extorting money from 400 applicants and offering them illegal employment.
According to the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who dropped the hint while on a working visit to Lagos, the crooks went as far as including the names of the ‘employed applicants’ in the Integrated Payroll and Personnel System (IPPIS) being operated by the service before the fraud was detected.

“The first scandal I met in one of the parastatals when I assumed office was the illegal employment of 400 people. This scandal started with very senior officers up to Level 17 in that department.
They sent out letters and text messages asking people to apply for jobs for a fee of N400, 000; and they were given letters of employment… They invited these people to go and be captured on the IPPIS… At the end of the day, the bubble burst. One of the victims told the officials: ‘You cannot take my money and still disengage me. I have a valid letter’.

That is how we got to know that there is a dedicated account these people pay to. Of course, we dismissed these officials and we even handed them over to the police”, Mohammed stated.
We have our doubts, however, that the Information and Culture Minister’s revelation would deter countless unscrupulous public servants now neck deep in employment scams; and our disillusion is not farfetched.

This stems from what appears government’s tacit support for extortion by its ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) in the recruitment processes. A good example still green in memory would be the ill-fated Saturday, March 15, 2014 tragic recruitment exercise by the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS).
The NIS reportedly had only about 4,000 job openings before advertising for applications from job seekers.
The Service demanded a non-refundable fee of N1000 from interested candidates for reasons that still remain suspect even as we write.

Despite NIS’ obvious extortionist misadventure, reports claimed over six million job seekers applied, and perhaps paid N1,000 each, out of which 526,650, according to the then Interior Minister, Abba Moro, were invited for the tragic test.
Even with a thousand naira extorted from just 526,650 applicants, NIS pocketed roughly N526, 650,000. But the Service failed woefully to organise decent and safe tests for the applicants. In the stampedes that trailed the tests, a total of 19 applicants, among them four pregnant women, died at various locations during the exercise conducted nationwide.

Reports said one of the victims, Mrs. Oyiza Yusuf, a 35-year-old mother of one, died in a stampede at Abuja National Stadium. It was alleged that the same Mrs. Yusuf was a year earlier defrauded of N150,000 by NIS crooks while looking for job in the same outfit. We also recall that early November last year, the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF) disassociated itself from a purported Facebook account used by alleged fraudsters to advertise job vacancies.
A statement by Mr. Haruna Imrana, Director of Communications in the OHCSF, alerted the public that the account was false and dubious.

More than anything else, however, it is not unlikely that the penchant by the nation’s bureaucracy to shortchange job seekers in the guise of job application fees has exacerbated the perpetration of fraud against hapless applicants whose main ‘offence’ is their desperation to live decent lives.
It is inhuman that government that ought to extend social security to the unemployed is now complicit in defrauding them through dubious civil servants.

It is unethical and unfair for MDAs to persist in their dirty vocation of extorting money from poverty-stricken applicants, many of whom end up not having a whiff of any job at the end of the day.
This is daylight robbery. It is a heartless foray and should be stopped forthwith. The top civil servants the Information and Culture Minister said were caught in the act deserve not just dismissal.
The minister should insist on their diligent prosecution and punishment to deter their peers still lurking around.

Previous Post

Return of oil pipeline bombings in N’Delta – Punch

Next Post

The medium and its message – The Nation

Related Posts

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch
Public Affairs

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

August 12 2026
‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine
Public Affairs

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

August 11 2026
FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres
Public Affairs

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

August 9 2026
Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch
Public Affairs

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

August 7 2026
We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch
Public Affairs

We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch

August 6 2026
Nigeria must stop misplaced budgetary allocations – Punch
Public Affairs

Nigeria must stop misplaced budgetary allocations – Punch

August 5 2026
Next Post

The medium and its message – The Nation

WikiLeaks waits as UN rules Assange’s detention illegal

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Kano Assembly suspends three LG chairmen for alleged misconduct

Kano Assembly suspends three LG chairmen for alleged misconduct

by The Editor
August 4 2026
0

...

NDDC trains traditional birth attendants to reduce maternal, newborn deaths

NDDC trains traditional birth attendants to reduce maternal, newborn deaths

by The Editor
July 29 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints new special adviser on House of Reps matters

Tinubu appoints new special adviser on House of Reps matters

by The Editor
July 27 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation

EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Queen Elizabeth dies at 96, Charles becomes King

UK radio broke rules in announcing king’s death — Official

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

State of the States

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Kebbi governor convenes emergency security meeting

Kebbi governor convenes emergency security meeting

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Cross River Igbo community alleges illegal taxation, seeks government intervention

Cross River pegs presidential campaign ads at N150m, guber N100m

August 16 2026
NCAA to automate baggage tracking

NCAA to automate baggage tracking

August 16 2026
BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors

BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors

August 16 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch

We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Opinion

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Trump’s U-turn on Iran war ends Israel’s Middle East dream

Trump’s U-turn on Iran war ends Israel’s Middle East dream

by The Editor
June 17 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.