TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Questionable decision – The Nation

The Editor by The Editor
December 27 2017
in Public Affairs
A A
0
Council Chairmen sue FG, governors to void approval for $1bn Boko Haram fund

This development raises posers on the use and abuse of the Excess Crude Account

It is not surprising that the decision by the National Economic Council (NEC) to spend $1billion from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) to fight Boko Haram insurgency in the Northeast generated a controversy. This account has been contentious since it entered the nation’s fiscal lexicon 13 years ago, created by the Obasanjo administration in 2004 to insulate the budgetary cycle – and indeed the economy – from oil-price-induced volatility. Its provenance and legality are subjects of fierce public debate.

Recently, the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, at the end of the 83rd meeting of the NEC chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, announced that the governors had given the Federal Government permission to draw from the account to fight the insurgency.

However, two governors from the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) –Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State and Udom Emmanuel of Akwa Ibom State have since demurred – the former claimed that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) would use the fund to finance the 2019 re-election ambition of President Muhammadu Buhari, while the latter said  that he did not attend the meeting.  There have been clarifications by the Vice President that the fund, rather than being for the Boko Haram insurgency alone, was meant to improve the overall security architecture of the country, including policing in the states.

Although enhancing the firepower of our fighting men would, on the surface, seem in order, there are questions on the wisdom in the governors’ offer to defray part of the nation’s defence bills at a time many of them are several months in arrears of wages and pensions. Considering the financial crisis ravaging the states, it makes no sense to further burden them with funding the anti-terror war?

Furthermore, there is the issue of the status of the ECA in the nation’s fiscal matrix, and whether the agreement can replace the strict constitutional requirement for spending public funds.

The Senate may have somewhat resolved the question of the status of the ECA when last month it passed a resolution scrapping its operation, drawing strength, as it were,  from the provision of Section 162 (1) of the constitution: “The Federation shall maintain a special account to be called “the Federation Account” into which shall be paid all revenues collected by the Government of the Federation, except the proceeds from the personal income tax of the personnel of the armed forces of the Federation, the Nigeria Police Force, the Ministry or department of government charged with responsibility for Foreign Affairs and the residents of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.” What remains perhaps is a definitive judicial pronouncement.

Also, Section 80 (1 – 4) and Section 120 (1 – 4) make it clear that the sole instrument that legitimises the spending of public funds is the appropriation law.  To the extent that the so-called agreement by the governors comes nowhere near the appropriation process, those who insist that the strictures imposed by the constitution be strictly followed obviously have a point.

There is no doubt that the operation of the ECA has been messy.  Under the late President Umaru Yar’Adua, for instance, the N5 billion said to have been drawn from the account to fund the power sector went unaccounted for; the same thing happened to the $2 billion drawn from the account during the Goodluck Jonathan presidency ostensibly to procure arms for the military.

It is a good thing that the NEC decision is being challenged in court, notably by the Ekiti State government. That is way to go in order to rest all contentions. As far as we can see, the decision is tantamount to usurping the power of the state legislatures to approve their spending bills.

We wonder why the Federal Government, which is constitutionally responsible for defence, would seek to share this responsibility with the states via an extra-constitutional contraption. Whatever happened to its defence budget? Why not send a supplementary budget to the National Assembly, if necessary?

Previous Post

Buhari raises 17-man fact-finding mission for Libyan returnees

Next Post

Lagos establishes six new primary schools

Related Posts

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom
Public Affairs

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

August 21 2026
Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch
Public Affairs

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

August 20 2026
Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu
Public Affairs

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

August 18 2026
Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch
Public Affairs

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

August 12 2026
‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine
Public Affairs

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

August 11 2026
FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres
Public Affairs

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

August 9 2026
Next Post

Lagos establishes six new primary schools

Iwuanyanwu advises FG to stop opening new varsities

Iwuanyanwu advises FG to stop opening new varsities

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.