TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Aggrieved youths set INEC office ablaze in Benue

The Editor by The Editor
July 4 2024
in Politics
A A
0
Aggrieved youths set INEC office ablaze in Benue

Some aggrieved youths in Benue State burnt down the office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Sankara, headquarters of Ukum Local Government Area, on Wednesday.

National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, Sam Olumekun, confirmed this in a statement.

Olumekun quoted Prof. Sam Egwu, Resident Electoral Commissioner for Benue as saying the youths invaded the facility around 2pm.

“The Resident Electoral Commissioner for Benue State, Professor Sam Egwu has reported that our Local Government Area office in Sankara, headquarters of Ukum Local Government Area, has been attacked and burnt down.

“The incident occurred at 2 p.m. today, Wednesday 3rd July 2024, when the youths in the area were said to be protesting against the activities of bandits who attacked facilities of government agencies, including INEC.

“Although no casualties were reported, the building has been extensively damaged. Office furniture and other movable and immovable materials, including 10 electric generators, 300 ballot boxes, and 270 voting cubicles, were destroyed in the attack.”

Governor Hyacinth Alia had declared an indefinite curfew on Ukum Local Government Area as a result of violent protest.

Heavy protests broke out in Sankera in the early hours of Wednesday following the fresh killings of 11 people by armed outlaws who have severally gone on rampage in the area and meted cruelty to the inhabitants.

The protesters were alleged to have torched the council’s secretariat as they laid dead bodies of victims on the parking lot of the Council Chairman, Victor Iorzaa.

Iorzaa had told journalists in Makurdi earlier that he could not comment on the matter.

The governor who imposed the curfew through his deputy, Barr. Sam Ode, cited the grave security situation in the region which has led to the wanton destruction of property leading to instability of the area as reason for his action.

“Beginning today, 3rd July 2024, a curfew be imposed on Ukum Local Government and environs beginning from 3pm to 3pm of tomorrow 4th July 2024.

“The curfew shall be observed from 6pm to 6am beginning from tomorrow 4th of July 2024 untill further notice.”

Alia further called for calm, saying security operatives had been deployed in their numbers to keep the peace in Ukum in particular and the Sankera region at large.

Previous Post

Newly-constructed 2-storey building collapses in Lagos

Next Post

Senate blames intelligence failure for Borno suicide bombings

Next Post
Borno: Gwoza suicide bombers were given just N20 – Retired Army Captain

Senate blames intelligence failure for Borno suicide bombings

Kaduna doctor speaks as kidnappers kill teenage son over N300m ransom

Kaduna doctor speaks as kidnappers kill teenage son over N300m ransom

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.