TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Article 50: UK Court blocks Brexit without parliamentary vote …we’ll challenge court ruling – Theresa May

The Citizen by The Citizen
November 4 2016
in Global News
A A
0

Theresa May cannot trigger Brexit without putting it to an MPs’ vote in the House of Commons, the High Court has ruled.

In a landmark ruling, Lord Chief Justice Thomas said Mrs May did not have the right to set in motion Article 50, the official start of the two-year EU divorce proceedings, without consulting parliament.

The decision is a significant setback for the Prime Minister’s Brexit strategy – she announced at the Conservative Party Conference last month she would trigger Article 50 by the end of March.

The Government instantly announced it would appeal against the ruling and the two sides will now prepare for another showdown at the Supreme Court in early December.

A Downing Street spokeswoman said it was the Prime Minister’s intention to stick to the end of March deadline for Article 50.

Speaking outside the court, businesswoman Gina Miller, who brought the case with hairdresser Deir Dos Santos, welcomed the decision and said it would “bring sobriety” to Brexit proceedings.

In a statement from Mr Dos Santos, who voted to leave the EU, he said: “In her speech to the Conservative Party Conference the Prime Minister attacked me for bringing these proceedings as a claimant. She said that I was trying to subvert democracy. That was an unwarranted and irresponsible attack.

“As is my constitutional right I sought the protection of the court to stop unlawful government action. The court has now given me that protection.”

The ruling saw the pound up more than 1% against the dollar, at $1.24, in the immediate wake of the High Court announcement.

Unless the decision is overturned by the Supreme Court, or on further appeal to the European Court of Justice, then it will be for MPs to decide when to start the UK’s exit from the European Union.

Around two-thirds of MPs voted Remain but many will be reluctant to overturn the public’s decision. However, in constituencies where people voted Remain MPs could come under pressure from their voters to block Article 50.

It will allow MPs to refuse to start divorce proceedings until they are happy with the precise terms of the Brexit deal and the SNP MPs will likely be key here.

Speaking in the House of Commons moments after the ruling, International Trade Secretary Liam Fox said: “The Government is disappointed by the court’s judgment.

“The country voted to leave the European Union in a referendum approved by Acts of Parliament. The Government is determined to respect the result of the referendum.

“This judgment raises important and complex matters of law and it’s right that we consider it carefully before deciding how to proceed.”

Opposition leaders Nicola Sturgeon, Tim Farron and Jeremy Corbyn, who have been calling for Mrs May to lay out her Brexit strategy more clearly, welcomed the ruling.

The Labour leader said: “This ruling underlines the need for the Government to bring its negotiating terms to Parliament without delay.

“Labour respects the decision of the British people to leave the European Union. But there must be transparency and accountability to parliament on the terms of Brexit.”

UKIP leader Nigel Farage said: “I now fear that every attempt will be made to block or delay the triggering of Article 50. If this is so, they have no idea of the level of public anger they will provoke.”

Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said the judgment was “an example of the uncertainty that will characterise this process”.

The case has centred around the wording of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which says member states may leave the EU “in accordance with its own constitutional requirements”.

However, there is no clearly established “constitutional requirements” leaving both sides free to make their own definitions.

Making his judgment, the Lord Chief Justice said: “The Government does not have power under the Crown’s prerogative to give notice pursuant to Article 50 for the UK for the UK to withdraw from the European Union.”

Mrs May will discuss the Brexit process with European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker on Friday in a phone call.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Theresa May says her government will challenge a High Court ruling that has stipulated that the country cannot leave the European Union (EU) without the permission of the British Parliament.
British Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (Brexit Minister) David Davis said on Thursday 17.4 million Leave voters had given the government “the biggest mandate in history” during a referendum in June to leave the 28-nation bloc.
The Supreme Court is expected to hear the government’s appeal in December.
“The judges have laid out what we can’t do, and not exactly what we can do, but we’re presuming that it requires an act of parliament and therefore both Commons and Lords,” he said.
Parliamentarians are not likely to block Brexit outright, given that nearly 52 percent of Britons voted on 23 June to leave the EU.
Prime Minister May’s spokesman said the government was “determined to continue with our plans,” and had “no intention of letting” the ruling “derail Article 50 or the timetable we have set out.”
Investment manager Gina Miller, who brought the case to the High Court, said the premier should make the “wise decision of not appealing” against the High Court ruling.
“The result today is about all of us. It’s not about me or my team. It’s about our United Kingdom and all our futures,” she said.
Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair has said Britain should keep its “options open” on whether or not to leave the EU until after Brexit talks with the bloc are completed.
During an interview last week with BBC radio, Blair described the EU referendum as “a catastrophe,” and said UK voters should be given the option of a second EU referendum. – Sky News, Press TV.

Previous Post

Senate’s rejection of $30bn loan request – Tribune

Next Post

More hurdles for Clinton as State Dept releases new batch of emails

Related Posts

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk
Global News

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026
Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists
Global News

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

August 21 2026
Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory
Global News

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

August 20 2026
Trump threatens to bomb Oman
Global News

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

August 18 2026
Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test
Global News

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

August 18 2026
Global News

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

August 13 2026
Next Post

More hurdles for Clinton as State Dept releases new batch of emails

Man Utd risk Europa exit after Fenerbahce defeat

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.