TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

African Union suspends Niger Republic, mounts pressure on coup leaders

The Editor by The Editor
August 23 2023
in Global News, Latest News
A A
0
Coup calls are treasonable – Punch

After nearly a month, the African Union (AU) Commission, yesterday, applied further sanctions by suspending Niger Republic from the pan-African bloc until normal constitutional order is restored in the country following the July 26 military coup.

The AU also warned its members to avoid any action that might legitimise the junta.

The decision to suspend Niger from AU was made by the Peace and Security Council of the AU Commission during its latest meeting that dwelt on the situation in the western African country, AU said in a statement.

The council reiterated its “unequivocal condemnation” of the military coup in Niger, which resulted in the ousting of democratically elected President Mohamed Bazoum by the military.

The council reaffirmed its full solidarity with the efforts of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its continued commitment to the restoration of constitutional order through diplomatic means.

“The council strongly rejected any external interference by any actor or any country outside the continent in the peace and security affairs in Africa. It also rejected engagements by private military companies in the continent in line with the 1977 OAU Convention for the Elimination of Mercenarism in Africa,” the statement said.

The Organisation of African Unity (OAU) was the predecessor of the AU, before it was disbanded in 2002.

The AU urged the military to place the supreme interests of Niger and its people above all else and to immediately and unconditionally return to the barracks and submit to civilian authorities, which is consistent with the constitution of Niger.

The council also reiterated its deep concern over the resurgence of military coups as it undermines democracy, peace, security, and stability, as well as development on the continent.

Also yesterday, ECOWAS envoy to Niger, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar (rtd), formally presented the terms given by the military junta to the sub-region for the settlement of the political crisis in the country. This is as Abubakar gave assurances that the crisis is not likely to deteriorate beyond diplomacy.

Abubakar, who is a former Nigerian military Head of State, spoke to journalists at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, after a meeting convened by President Bola Tinubu, who is the Chairman of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of the ECOWAS.

At the meeting, which included the President of the ECOWAS Commission, Dr Omar Touray, and the National Security Adviser (NSA) to the President, Nuhu Ribadu, Abubakar, who had last weekend held a meeting with the ousted President of Niger, Mohamed Bazoum, and leaders of the junta, said he had delivered the terms of the Abdouramane Tchiani-led junta to ECOWAS.

He said that there has been exchange of correspondences between the West African regional bloc and the military junta in Niger, noting that the line of contact opened by ECOWAS through his appointment as envoy had been very fruitful. He expressed hope that something concrete will soon come out of it.

Recall that the junta had promised to hand over in three years, which had been rejected by ECOWAS.

While the ECOWAS Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace, and Security, Ambassador Abdel-Fatau Musah, had during an appearance on Channels Television on Monday said ECOWAS was more likely to go to war with Niger, Abubakar, said: “hopefully diplomacy will see the better of this. Nobody wants to go to war, it doesn’t pay anybody, but then, our leaders have said if all fails and I don’t think all will fail, we’ll get somewhere we’ll get out of this mess.”

On the divergence in opinions of both the regional bloc and the junta about a quick return to democratic rule, Abubakar said: “Well, like I said, we’ve started talking, they have made their own points and then I made my report to the Chairman of the ECOWAS Heads of State and President. He will now consult with his colleagues and then the ding-dong starts, and we’ll get somewhere hopefully.”

MEANWHILE, Nigeria’s representative to the ECOWAS parliament, Senator Emmanuel Yisa Orker-Jev, has cautioned on a military solution to the coup in Niger.

In an exclusive interview with The Guardian yesterday, the immediate past Senate committee Vice Chairman on Judiciary, who represented Benue North West, rather advised on diplomacy to resolve the Nigerien impasse.

Senator Jev, who is currently representing the country at the ECOWAS parliament, said President Tinubu may play into the hands of terrorists like the Boko Haram if ECOWAS insist on a military solution.

“We have problems of our own. We have not been able to subdue Boko Haram within our borders. It may cause more problems for us if we have people across the borders colluding with Boko Haram”, he said.

The Senator said that the ECOWAS parliament held an emergency meeting last week and took the decision that “ECOWAS should not be dragged into a military confrontation with the coupists”.

According to the parliamentarian, “in any military confrontation with the junta in Niger, Nigeria will bear the brunt because ECOWAS is funded 70 per cent by Nigeria. In a confrontation, you would be sure that 70 per cent of the funding will come from Nigeria and 70 per cent of the manpower from Nigeria.”

He added that many of the Francophone countries are going “the coup way and rather than wait for the coups to take place before we start to intervene, what ought to be done was to sit back and look at those things that are giving rise to coups in order to avoid them and put a permanent stop to the malaise.”

Also, Nasir el-Rufai, former governor of Kaduna State, has cautioned ECOWAS against military intervention in Niger. In a tweet on Tuesday, el-Rufai said a war within the sub-region would be a war between brothers.

“As ECOWAS beats the drums of war, I recall the 1970s rock classic by Dire Straits – ‘Brothers in Arms’, because a war within our subregion is a war between brothers,” el-Rufai tweeted.

“Indeed, the people of Niger Republic are one and the same with those living in Northern Nigeria. Let us bend therefore over backwards to avoid this civil war between brothers.”

El-Rufai’s call to avoid military intervention in Niger is the latest from stakeholders in Nigeria’s northern region. The Northern Senators Forum (NSF) had also asked Tinubu to exhaust all diplomatic means in resolving the crisis.

The forum warned that deploying Nigerian troops to Niger Republic will hurt seven northern states — Sokoto, Kebbi, Katsina, Zamfara, Jigawa, Yobe and Borno — who share borders with the landlocked West African nation.

Previous Post

Niger coup: What I told Tinubu- Abdulsalami

Next Post

Dr. Akintoye Akindele opens up on business dispute with Abiola’s family, says fraud allegations untrue

Related Posts

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns
Headlines

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns

August 20 2026
Man commits suicide in Ibadan over N.3m debt
Latest News

FG approves amendment to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 20 2026
Osun: Davido was target of Osogbo convoy attack – Police
Headlines

Osun: Davido was target of Osogbo convoy attack – Police

August 20 2026
83 Nigerians return from South Africa
Latest News

83 Nigerians return from South Africa

August 20 2026
Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory
Global News

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

August 20 2026
BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy
Headlines

Osun: Police confirm one death in Osogbo gunfire

August 20 2026
Next Post
Dr. Akintoye Akindele opens up on business dispute with Abiola’s family, says fraud allegations untrue

Dr. Akintoye Akindele opens up on business dispute with Abiola's family, says fraud allegations untrue

Nigerian court sentences South American to 13 years in prison for smuggling cocaine

Widow, musician in jail for dealing in hard drugs

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

August 20 2026
Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

August 20 2026
Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

August 20 2026
Super Eagles bow 1-2 to Algeria in friendly

Senate summons NFF, NSC over Nigeria’s football crises

August 20 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.