TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Boko Haram declares Gwoza Islamic caliphate. Military debunks claim, scores of policemen missing

The Citizen by The Citizen
August 25 2014
in Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
1

Leader of the terrorist Islamic sect, Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, has re-designated Gwoza town that was seized by his men last Thursday as an Islamic caliphate.

The military authorities in a swift reaction have debunked the claim by Shekau that he had declared Gwoza the seat of a new caliphate in the North-East.

But Shekau announced the declaration that Gwoza had become an Islamic caliphate in a video obtained by the Agence France-Press on Sunday.

The terrorist also vowed that his group would not leave the town.

“Thanks be to Allah who gave victory to our brethren in the town of Gwoza and made it part of the Islamic caliphate. By the grace of Allah, we will not leave the town. We have come to stay,” Shekau said in the 52-minute video.

In a July video, Shekau had voiced support for the leader of the Islamic State militants, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who in late June declared himself “the caliph” and “leader of Muslims everywhere.”

The AFP report however said it was not clear if Shekau was declaring himself to be a part of Baghdadi’s call or if he was referring to a separate Nigerian caliphate.

In the 19th century, a Sokoto caliphate was proclaimed across most of the modern day northern Nigeria and was considered separate from other Islamic kingdoms, such as the Ottoman Empire.

There was no indication that Shekau was actually in Gwoza for the filming and his whereabouts remained unknown but he vowed that his fighters would keep control of the area.

The United Nations humanitarian office had earlier in the month confirmed reports that Gwoza was under rebel control.

Boko Haram is also believed to be in control of other areas near Gwoza in southern Borno, as well as large swathes of territory in northern Borno and at least one town in neighbouring Yobe State.

Experts have described Boko Haram’s gains in recent weeks as unprecedented, saying the group was closer than ever to achieving its goal of carving out a strict Islamic state across northern Nigeria.

A major military offensive at the onset of the emergency rule in May last year appeared to put the militants on the defensive, flushing them out of their strongholds.

But critics say top brass failed to sustain the pressure and allowed the Islamists to retake some of the areas they had abandoned.

In an apparent mutiny, some troops rejected deployment in Gwoza last week because of lack of adequate weapons.

After Shekau’s speech and in demonstrating their being in control of Gwoza, insurgents were seen, in the video, atop pick-up trucks firing rocket-propelled grenades and other heavily armed insurgents firing weapons as they walk calmly along the road.

The footage appears to show them taking over a military base, stealing weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammunition as well as fuel cans.

In one frame, a fighter stands on top of a tank, waving the Islamists’ black flag.

The AFP reports that the end of the video depicted scenes of grisly executions, similar to those released by IS in recent weeks.

In one scene, about 20 men in civilian clothing are shown with their hands tied behind their backs and lying by the roadside before they are shot at close range.

A second scene shows two men, whom Shekau said disguised themselves as women to escape the town, beaten to death with shovels. Two others similarly dressed are shot beside what appears to be a trench full of bodies.

Meanwhile, the military authorities have debunked the claim by Shekau that he had declared Gwoza the seat of a new caliphate in the North-East.

The Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen Chris Olukolade, said in the Defence Headquarters Twitter handle twitter.com/DefenceInfoNG that the military would not allow any part of the country to be ceded to the insurgents.

Olukolade described the declaration by Shekau as empty, insisting that the territorial integrity of Nigeria was intact.

He said that a military operation to retake Gwoza was underway.

He said, “The claim is empty. The sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Nigerian state is still intact.

“Any group of terrorists laying claim to any portion of the country will not be allowed to get away with the expression of delusion and crime.

“Appropriate military operations to secure that area from the activities of the bandits are still ongoing.”

Previous Post

Jonathan is not sick —Presidency

Next Post

S’East PDP rejects new polling booths allocation by INEC, recent Police promotion, posting

Related Posts

Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students
Headlines

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026
ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity
Headlines

ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity

August 18 2026
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results
Headlines

Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results

August 16 2026
BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs
Headlines

BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs

August 16 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs
Governance

State Police: Presidency extends memorandum submission deadline

August 13 2026
Next Post

S’East PDP rejects new polling booths allocation by INEC, recent Police promotion, posting

N220bn fund for MSMEs: Good intention but no solution – THE CITITZEN

Comments 1

  1. Omoba Adewale says:
    12 years ago

    I still think Bornu needs more security personnel compared to what was deployed to Ekiti and lately Osun. Can we said to be winning the war when our priorities are not set right?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

August 18 2026
Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

August 18 2026
Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

August 18 2026
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.