TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Siemens Bribery Scandal: Appeal Court Discharges, Acquits Momife

The Citizen by The Citizen
May 30 2014
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

Tobi Soniyi
The Abuja division of the Court of Appeal has discharged and acquitted a former Chief Executive Officer of M-Tel, Edwin Moore Momife, who was charged with three others for allegedly receiving bribes from a multi-national German firm, Siemens Limited.

In a unanimous decision, the court held that Momife had no case to answer and that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) should not have put him on trial because no offence known to law was committed.

Justice Tinuade Akomolafe-Wilson who read the court judgment, noted that the Siemens officials Momife was said to have conspired with were not charged and were also not at large.

In the circumstances, the court held that the accused person could not have conspired with himself.

The court also held that even though the accused admitted receiving flight tickets from Siemens, there was no relationship, business otherwise, between Siemens and the accused, and therefore the offence of receiving bribe without value consideration was not sustainable.
Consequently, Momife was cleared of all wrongdoings while the judgment of Danlami Senchi of an Abuja a High Court which had earlier held that the accused had a case to answer was set aside.

Momife was charged with a former Director of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, (PHCN), Maigada Shuaibu, an ex-General Manager of Finance in NITEL, Emmanuel Chukwuemeka Ossai, and a former Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Power and Steel, Mahmood Sadiq Mohammed  before an Abuja high court sitting at Wuse Zone 2, for allegedly receiving bribes from  Siemens Limited.
They all pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail on self recognition by Justice Danlami Senchi.

In the 16-count amended charge filed against them by the EFCC, the four accused persons were alleged to have received for themselves and their family members, air tickets to attend FIFA World Cup in Germany, in addition to receiving frequent sponsored trips to Germany for medical check-ups.

They all denied committing any offence.
The anti-graft agency alleged that the company made an arrangement with a hospital at Stiftung Deutsche Klinik Fuer Diagnostik Gmbh, International Patientenservice, Aukammalle 33, 65191, Wiesbaden, Germany, where it said both the accused persons and their relations visited frequently between 2002 and 2006.

The offences they allegedly committed were said to have contravened section 96 of the Penal Code Cap 532 LFN (Abuja) 1990 and punishable under section 119 of the same Code.

Before then, government  had withdrawn charges filed against Siemens AG, its subsidiary in Nigeria and four of its principal staff involved in the bribery scandal.

The case against the company was withdrawn after it agreed to pay fine of N7 billion to the federal government.

Previous Post

and Nadia have not broken up — Jim Iyke’s manager

Next Post

Dangote splashes N540m to Borno women, youths

Related Posts

Headlines

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City
Latest News

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde
Governance

Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde

May 18 2026
FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians
Business

FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians

May 18 2026
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
Latest News

Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case

May 18 2026
Next Post

Dangote splashes N540m to Borno women, youths

The Sun ex-DMD dies at 48

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

May 19 2026

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.